Crack - specific headphone kit?

Doc B. · 17190

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 06:03:36 AM
Got the guys to listen and opine, and did some further comparisons. Current conclusions are that the damping and loading mods really improve the already good bass and help to clean up the midrange so one can hear the decay of notes much more clearly. The top end still needs a bit of help, and the next set of experiments, with cabling, will be done with that in mind.

Whereas the modded cans were different but seemed to present a very favorable impression vs. Hd800s with both playing via crack, hd800s via mainline vs. the new cans on crack shows the 800/mainline combo still rules the roost by a good margin. If I can get the top end opened up a bit on the experimental cans the margin between them should narrow a bit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline keithpgdrb

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 07:08:58 PM
I'm a little confused as to how you can tune something specifically for the crack when there are so many variables that result from tube rolling?  I'm interested in this project, but it seems that everyone should have the same tube compliment for this to work.  or at least we need to know what tubes your using Doc!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 07:29:23 PM
I'm a little confused as to how you can tune something specifically for the crack when there are so many variables that result from tube rolling?

Because most of the variables that interplay between an amplifier and speakers/headphones have less to do with the actual tubes used, and a lot more to do with the performance of the amplifier and the demands of the load.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 07:05:11 AM
I am most curious to see what headphones are used and how you address the impedance issue.  I'm definitely in for a preorder when available.

Bob Trancho

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 07:39:32 AM
When and if the experiment reaches a favorable conclusion we will share the details. Some parts ordering was slightly delayed but we should have parts for the next stage of experiments next week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kozmos

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 08:03:26 AM
This sounds really interesting, I will probably also preorder if it goes that far.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 09:04:42 AM
Hmmm... a nice set of of closed back headphones for a cubicle warrior. You have my attention.

Offline mSummers

Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:15:46 AM
I'd be interested in a kit like that as well

- Michael

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 10:19:15 AM
I will be listening to the new cable design later today. Cross your fingers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:08 AM
Since there is no where for me to post this,

Says he who has his own forum.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mike B

Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 02:36:52 PM
No interest at all.

Bought a new set of HD600's for $350.  I'm done.

Never had a headphone rig, thought I'd try one out.  The sound is amazing.

The other reason I bought it is as a reference.  From all I've read Crack/Speedball/HD600 is as neutral as it gets.  So that makes for a good reference.  I really hate headphones.  I want to listen to music that sounds that good w/o the clamp on my head.  IE speakers.  The headphone rig helped me with the speaker design - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 03:06:16 PM
I'm not sure of the relevance of the last five posts to the subject matter of this thread. I'm pretty happy with the end result today. The headphones sound quite different than stock - more extension on both ends and much more punch. In fact these are some of the most punchy headphones I have heard. That quick transient attack is really pretty neat. We're gonna work out a few final details and then I think we will release what we have come up with.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mike B

Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 03:11:58 PM
Hehe.  I was responding to your original post - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 03:41:54 PM
Very interested to see what you come up with, and if they have the same synergy as the HD600/Crack everybody raves about i'm sure they will be a great success.

I doubt they will interest me personally though, especially if they are anything like the Sennheisers. I have the 650's and just don't like them, i've tried time and time, respect them, just cant love them.

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 05:39:51 PM
These really aren't anything like Sennheisers in terms of construction so I don't know that experience with that sound will help much to describe these cans. I just tried them vs. some  ATH-AD900s that I like a lot and found that I prefer the quicker, punchier sound of the new cans. The ATHs easily win on comfort though. Those who want a really tubey, big tone midrange kind of sound may not like these new cans that much. These are more of an extended frequency sound without much mid bloom. Clean highs, more of a neutral (maybe less intimate is a reasonable descriptor?) mid sound, and very dynamic bass that actually lets your ears feel some impact. Not like gut pounding bass, but there is a definite tactile element that I found a nice surprise. Vocals sound balanced and resolved, but they don't do "big head" or "chick whispering in your ear". Maybe the best description is that the cans seem to bring out those OTL amp positive attributes of tight bass and a very clean sort of sound.

One thing for sure, I could REALLY hear the improvement that John Swenson's software filter makes over the DAC chip's stock filter.  Turned out I had been running the stock filter all day during a listening session on Friday - arggh.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.