nickel and pinstripe question

najo49 · 8359

Offline najo49

on: January 24, 2014, 06:31:13 AM
What is the difference between the nickel and the pin stripe? thanks Jann Olsen

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:18:05 AM
Pin stripe is partially nickel. The nickel laminations are interleaved with the regular. Hence...pinstripes.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:38:48 AM
The alternative is to put all the nickel lams in a bunch in the center of the stack, sort of a single chalk stripe. I think Sowter has one done that way. No idea what the performance difference might be.

Paul Joppa

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:32:15 AM
The alternative is to put all the nickel lams in a bunch in the center of the stack, sort of a single chalk stripe. I think Sowter has one done that way. No idea what the performance difference might be.

That is actually how the BH-5 pinstripes  are done...John

John Scanlon

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:30 PM
Hah - I might have know that but if so, I didn't remember it.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:14:05 PM

That is actually how the BH-5 pinstripes  are done...John

Looking under the hood John? ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:19:59 PM
I remember that back in 2002 or so Mikey built two pairs of TFA 2004 Jr's with the Cobalt slices(10 or 12) centered in the coil and surrounded by M4; and he reported that they gave 80% of the inductance of an all Cobalt stack for a considerable reduction of the cost of the all-Cobalt TFA 2004 Jr.

I was fortunate to purchase the 10 slice pair and Paul Birkeland built them into a Custom BH 2A3 stereo amp for me with Paul Joppa's trick dual and shunt-regulated power supply with MQ chokes, etc. The amp still impresses me every time I listen, especially with the JJ 2A3-40 output tubes. There are all-Cobalt B7's in the matching Linestage as well. Hope this contributes to the core material considerations here.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:21:45 PM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
Another way of looking at the pinstripe question is that M4 provides a grunt factor, while Cobalt is agile; sort of combining the best of a 18-wheeler with a very light criterium-bicycle.

80% of the inductance of an all-Cobalt tranny for 120% of the cost of M4 alone. I think I have that right, but I will rely on Mike to correct the metaphor(and the figures) if needed. I love his thinking____ and the resulting sound. I have bass flat down to 30 Hz in my room with -4Db down at 24 Hz. That is driving my Blumentein Orca/BUF Sub speakers. I am sure the amp is flat way lower.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:09:08 AM by Hank Murrow »