Omega Super 6 Alnico Monitors

Moot · 5069

Offline Moot

on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:02 AM
Omega Speakers were the first single-driver, crossover-less speakers I'd encountered. I bought the Super 6 Alnico Hemp-cone Monitors without trying them (I live in the Yukon so I can't really try anything out before buying it. I rely heavily on people's opinions.) I paired them up with my only amps, Monarchy Audio SM70 Pro's, but they weren't the best match - not enough bass. The Monarchy's are amazing with my Polk Audio LSiM 703s, however.

Louis, the owner/builder for Omega, suggested I try the Stereomour. So after a quick six-week wait I got the kit, assembled it, and voila! Sure enough, the Omegas are astounding with the Stereomour! Lots of bass now - no need for a sub. It's an astounding combination.

I'm looking forward to trying a set of Blumensteins at some point - I'm sold on the whole crossover-less, single-speaker design. Plus that Stereomour is the best amp I've ever heard. Period.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:59:30 AM
Louis does some great work!  I sure do miss my Parisian black maple Aperiodic 8's.   

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:57:20 PM
Dear Moot;

You have discovered one of the real benefits of Parallel Feed topology. Since the DC to power the tube runs through a choke, the output tranny can be optimized for bass and treble extension. Also there is a greater suppression of Power Supply noise(black space out of which comes the music). I use Super 5's in my pottery studio(replaced by the whole enchilada Blumenstein main system now), but they sounded wonderful when I had them in the main system powered by a Paul Birkeland built 2A3 amp with MQ M4/Cobalt outputs and MQ chokes. Parallel feed is da bomb! I have been recommending it as well as Bottlehead kits on the Omega Forum for years now.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Moot

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:36 AM
Thanks, Hank, I had been wondering why a 2 x 3.5 Watt amp could provide more/better bass than two 70 Watt mono-blocks! I had assumed that, due to the high-efficiency nature of the Omegas, I just wasn't hitting the amps with enough signal. 

PS - Hank, I checked out your web page; very cool stuff!