Chromebook

John EH · 4035

Offline John EH

on: January 29, 2014, 11:56:47 PM
On an impulse buy I bought an HP Pavilion 14" Chromebook.  Can't do much with it audio wise other than stream from the web or their Spotify plugin.

I managed to install Crouton which is Ubuntu Linux but it has a symbiotic relationship with ChromeOS which makes it weird.  Took some serious fiddling around but I got Squeezeboxserver, Squeezelite and the Triode Spotify plugin started and running.   

Also got it working with a HiFiMeDIY DAC which also wasn't easy but I got it.  It sounds pretty awesome even though I only have my Bose QC-15 Noise canceling cans with me on my trip here.  Can't wait to hear this rig on my Sony MDR-V6 cans.   I'm impressed.

Offline John EH

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:25:55 PM
After a few days I can verify that the Chromebook will run Squeezeboxserver, Squeezelite, and Triode Spotify with no issues. Right now I'm starting all via command line but once the computer is started there's no compelling reason to reboot.

Only issue is that you have to do it all from Crouton (Ubuntu).  Works perfect.  Once in Crouton and set up you can switch back to Chrome and just use your laptop normally.  Don't have to stay in Linux (unless you want to).