Klipsch B-20's as ultra-budget Stereomour/s.e.x.2.1 option?

xander14 · 3280

Offline xander14

93db sensitivity rating, makes the cut for a couple of online 'recommended' lists, and most importantly can be had right now for $100 w/FS for the pair.  I also read a review that emphasized their strength in detail in the mids and highs, which would be high on the list for what I'd be looking for in a pair of bookshelf speakers.

I consider myself much more of a HP person than a speaker person, and am just looking for a good value here to fill the gap / round out the setup for a couple years until I get bit by the speaker bug and upgrade to Orcas or the like [simply don't have the cash to consider those right now].

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:08:16 AM
I don't know the speaker but at that price you have not much to lose trying them. Another, not as efficient possibility is the little Pioneer Andrew Jones signature home theater speakers. They are really nice and in the same general price range.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:03:39 PM
I agree with this purchasing approach for sure.  You wont go wrong with the sex amp because it works surprisingly well with many different kinds of "moderately efficient" pairs of speakers, actually.  Its amplification "quality" is uniquely "neutral," but to those who've heard it and know what I am really talking about know that its really tough to sum its presentation up entirely with just that one word.

I've used one particular sex 2.0 with almost every pair of speakers I've made or gotten on the used market. It resides in a Terry Cain case at home now and still sounds awesome at close to full volume out of some 7 y/o Orcas.  Geez how long term breakin really counts.  Similarly, the Orcas will work decently well with any old "starter amp." Youll hear some of their desirable qualities, but together, the orcas and sex have a pretty unique chemistry and bang for the buck especially in the nearfield and early midfield.  The stereomour is also awesome for this if it fits in your budget/space. Nuf said.

Happy holidays!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:09:49 PM by Clark B. »

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:14:51 PM
The Pioneers are this years Stereophile Editor's Choice Speaker of the Year winner...  For whatever that is worth to you..

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:10:05 PM
Oh its deserved praise alright.  More people at all budgets need to be brought into the fold of speaker listening and so I'm really proud of a designer that can create that level of bang for the buck.  I've heard those speakers in Colin's room (Doc's son) and also in in store demos.  Its a great overall value, and puts out a very well balanced presentation.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:12:44 PM by Clark B. »

Offline spaniard02

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:46:32 AM
I see this is an old thread, but I've heard both of the single-woofer Synergy models before on my buddy's setup - they both work well as strained-budget options, but in different ways.  The floorstanding speakers come off as really bass-y coming out of a S.E.X. which can work as a pseudo-2.1 option for combined music/ht usage, but can also be overbearing for certain types of music. Would be nice for an apartment/condo all-purpose media center / listening station as long as you don't have irritable neighbors.

Otherwise, the bookshelves work nicely to start.  Will sound unimpressive in the first 5 minutes while the amp warms up, but after that, output optimizes somewhere near 12 o'clock for pretty good volume in a small space.  Distortion starts to come in noticeably around 2:30, 3 o'clock.  Just a little bit more power than the S.E.X. amp would probably be nice for bringing the best out of the bass & treble.

Hope that helps.