What Cartridge Are You Using With Your Eros?

Grainger49 · 18389

Offline redneckdent

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 02:22:18 PM
I have a Denon DL-103R, output is .25mV.  I think it works pretty well, I bought it based on good reviews and price.

Steve,

Did you change the input resistor in the Eros to match the 103's preferred load, use an SUT?  Is there any additional noise, or noise that bothers you?  The 0.25mV is lower than the suggested, though higher than the 0.1mV Doc said they had used successfully.

Paul, and Paul, Thanks!

Yes, I changed the input resistors can't remember the values will need to measure, I'm also using SUT's.  I really don't think I have it right yet, there seems to be a lot of varibles involved.  The noise level is very low but then I have replaced all the tubes, I can say for certainty that everytime I turn the equipment on it sounds better, I guess everything is settling in, wish I was getting better with age.

I use a wooded Denon 103R with mine as well, but I've done no mods.  The noise floor is much more than I would like, but it still sounds so much better than the Rega Exact (HIGH output and no noise) that I used before.  Are you saying that swapping out a resistor could help without having to figure out the SUT business?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 02:52:37 PM
Dent,

PJ has posted some formulas that help you select loading for MC cartridges and SUTs.  There is a reflected load back to the cartridge that damps the ultrasonic resonance that is typical of the MCs.  

Check out these two threads:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,116.0.html

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,73.0.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:58:32 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Anton

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 03:26:53 PM
Hi
Is anybody using Benz Micro Glider SH with Eros phono stage? If yes - what tone-arm are coupling it with and what is your impression on sound quality.
According to specs its outpot 2,5uV and recommended load 1-47 kOhm, so I assume it should work with Eros just fine.

I am currently using Denon 110L - very good high-output MC cartgidge for its price and wirking good with Eros.

But I am going to upgrade my front end sometime early next year - and I was seriously considering this Benzcartridge - so if anybody can share an opinion I will appreciate this.

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline milosz

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 01:01:19 AM
Trying several:

Denon DL-110
Dynavector 10x5
Shure V15-Type III  with original stylus & with JICO "SAS" super-eliptical stylus & boron cantilever

So far, liking the Dynavector the best.

Using VPI Scout turntable, stock VPI JMW-9 arm

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:26 AM
And now I am using a Grado Sonata-1 in my VPI HW-19 with mine.  But alternately I use the Denon DL-103C on my Dual 1219 through the Denon SUT.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:14:42 AM
For MM it's a JICO MM-1 cart with SAS stylus and for MC a Lyra Kleos to a Pioneer H-Z1 then Eros. 

Aaron Johnson