It works, but maybe someone can help with a couple of noises

tfrei · 2049

Offline tfrei

This is my first build of a bottlehead kit.  Resistance and voltages checked out.  Hooked it up and it works. Yay!

But there are two noise problems I'm noticing.

1) Regular soft pop or click heard at regular invervals: kind of like the seconds clicking on a watch.  I really don't know much about anything, but the regularity makes me think it related to the AC equipment that it is hooked up to on the same circuit, basically an amp and a turntable.  These are all powered by long extension cords.  [ I know, I need a better AC power hook up .]

2) Bell like sounds whenever I touch a cable or adjust the volume.  The troubleshooting tips on the manual suggest this microphonic phenomenon could be due to a bad tube.  But the tubes are brand new from the kit.  They packaging suggests they were made in 1959, but my general assumption is that they are good tubes.

Any advice or suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Offline ffivaz

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 07:58:08 AM
Microphonics is normal, especially with the quickie. Just don't tap the top plate. Btw, there are a couple of posts in this forum related to damping the tubes and plate to diminish microphonics.

For the tickling sound. I would say RFI, radio interference, for instance from your cell phone receiving a message or your wifi network. Try moving the quickie around, away from any source of radio signal.

Hope it helps.
Fabien

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:50 AM
Both sound normal enough.  Does the tick go away once everything is warmed up?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:46 AM
I have three different sets of tubes, the RCA that came with the kit, Telefunken's and Mullard's. The Mullard's have the least microphonic. But it does not go away, it is just a little less. In addition I dampened the tubes using water pipe clamps.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:23:05 AM
Great idea with those water clamps!  Do they get hot enough to melt?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:39 AM
Great idea with those water clamps!  Do they get hot enough to melt?
The 3S4 (DL92) tubes stay practically cold in the Quickie.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:53:45 PM
I have three different sets of tubes, the RCA that came with the kit, Telefunken's and Mullard's. The Mullard's have the least microphonic. But it does not go away, it is just a little less. In addition I dampened the tubes using water pipe clamps.

Are those D cells backwards?

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
Are those D cells backwards?
Yes and no. The manual had a mistake, which I had not rectified properly then. One solution was to put the D cells in backwards. I fixed this since  8)

Offline tfrei

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:57:09 AM
Update.  Moved the whole system to a better place.  No extension cord for power, better isolation for turntable, and Quickie.  Microphonics have lessened and I think I can get further improvements by putting a layer of silicone between the chassis board and wooden case for the Quickie.  I still have some clicks, but they have changed since the move so I imagine it is probably some stray RF (as suggested above) .  Thanks for all your help.

Question for Zimmer64:  How to you use those water clamps on the tubes?  Won't the tubes break? Or is their padding of some sort between the tube and clamp?

Thanks everybody for all your help!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:34:32 AM
They have a rubber ring on the inside and I tightened them gently by hand.