Need help on Resistor type

rockpassion · 4576

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 09:34:26 AM
peed in there and tell.

Whoa! Make sure it's unplugged first if you do that!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
Just saw this thread. Nobody has mentioned how odd it would be to see an oily, gooey mess exude from a resistor - so odd, that I expect it is from the capacitor not the resistor. Especially since it's an old electrolytic capacitor. Maybe I'm wrong, I can't make enough sense out of the picture to see what the rest of you seem to see.

The maximum capacitance for a rectifier tube actually depends on the power transformer resistances - the real limitation is the peak current on a cold start. Sometimes you can find a more detailed specification sheet for a given tube that will go into more detail on this than the usual sheets.

Paul Joppa

Offline howardnair

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 12:58:38 PM
Paul-yes i wondered about that-but- i did not say a word--there are no pics of the amp in question the only pics are of a amp that mcandmar found as a reference-besides somebody peed in there

Offline rockpassion

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 05:42:24 PM
I am trying to get some pictures of my amp and I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.  One area to clarify is these were modified by Quicksilver to run EL34's since the 8417 were becoming so scarce and had become rather expensive.  I believe that is the reason for the large first capacitor, the value is 850 MFD/475 VDC.  I currently run KT77's which I find to be very nice.  I have never had any problem with these amps and use them as stand ins when my Dynaco MKIII are on the fritz (which they are now).

I did find part of my problem which was the reason for the loud hum.  My input connectors from my CD player were touching.  They are 90 degree connectors and on occassion they twist and touch.  Needless to say these will be changed this week.  I listened to amps briefly today and sound wise they still sound good.  Not as good as my MKIII's but close.  I did get new Auricap caps to replace the caps that are connected to the 12AX7's and the 12BH7's.  I also matched the values of the replacement with the values in my amp that is good, which is a .22uf/600VDC.  I think Quicksilver may have made a mistake because the current value in the problem amp is .22uf/250VDC.  Anyway, I believe this cap change may give this amps a little more detail and clarity, at least I hope so they are a little laid back. 

Again, thanks for all the help, I did learn a few things so my problems turned into a learning experience which I am thankful for having this forum to turn too.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers