Pure Music software (Mac)

ironbut · 2225

Offline ironbut

on: March 27, 2010, 06:16:47 PM
I decided to take the day off from soldering or learning more about what the circuits that I'm working on do and spent the day web surfing and I came across this software music player.
Many of you might recall the Pure Vinyl software that was reviewed in Stereophile a while back. While it got a positive review I prefer to listen to the actual vinyl I have and I already have software recorders and noise reduction systems coming out of my ears.
The Pure Music software is a player only from the same folks and is meant to go toe to toe with Sonic Studio's Amarra. I've spent a lot of time listening to various releases of the Amarra and while I like what it does, it was always too much money for someone who only listens to digital about 5% of the time.

I've downloaded and listened to all the Mac compatible media players and I've been using "Play" for that last couple of years.
So far (I just downloaded Pure Music today) I've been pretty impressed with it. Does it wipe the floor with the free "Play" player? It's certainly better sounding but I need to live with it for a while to say by how much (just what "wipe the floor" means is such a personal thing anyway).

It's still in development so it still won't play my flac files yet but it may sound good enough to convince me to covert my files to uncompressed wav or Apple lossless.
Like I said, I'm just on my first day of a 15 day demo (you can extend it another 7 days too) but it ain't too shabby.
Oh yeah, so far I like it as much as the $995 Amarra  and you can buy it for $129.(the $395 Amarra Mini is probably a more fair comparison but I haven't listened to it)
I'm listening to 16/44-48 and 24/96 files on a modded Metric Halo ULN-2.

So, if you have a Mac and a good interface/dac, give it a demo.

http://www.channld.com/pure-music1.html

steve koto