AKG Headphone Impedance and Crack

deltaunit · 6341

Offline deltaunit

on: March 21, 2011, 09:33:52 AM
Hello all, I'm thinking about upgrading my headphones and am interested in the AKG K240 DF / M (600Ω) and the AKG K500 (120Ω). I believe the crack is ideally matched at about 300Ω so would either of these two choices be a better choice technically than the other and does anyone have any experience of AKG and Crack?

Many thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:36:05 AM by deltaunit »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:21:42 AM
Have not compared them to be sure, but I'd be inclined to try the 600 ohm version.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline SPaulMac

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:40:13 PM
I can only speak for the more recent AKG K501 'phones (also 120Ω) and say I've been thrilled with them on my recently completed Crack. To me the Crack adds a very nice fullness to the 501s which can sometimes come across as a bit lightweight. When it comes to a choice between my HD650s, DT880s and K501s with the Crack, I frankly prefer the AKGs.

Stephen Morris

Shure V15-VMR
Rega Planar2
Bottlehead Seduction
Marantz SA8260 SACD
Pioneer RT-707
MacBook Pro via HRT Music Streamer II
Adcom GFP-565
Adcom GFA-555
Magnepan MMG
Bottlehead Crack
AKG K501

Offline deltaunit

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:32 AM
Thanks guys, I had a slight preference for the DFs so that all sounds pretty good. I just wanted to double check there wasn't going to be any obvious compatibility issues with them.

I'm loving the crack btw.

Cheers,

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:55:04 AM
I sold my 240M before my crack was built so I can't comment on that pairing but I do have the K400 and K500 which do very well until you turn the volume up past 12 and the sound starts to get distorted.  Either way the K400 still sounds lovely and will be a headphone I hold onto for quite some time.  Also if you can find one the K340 is excellent with the Crack, I wish that I still had mine!

Offline deltaunit

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:44:38 AM
Thanks for the giving this thread a bump, I had meant to give the forum an update on these headphones as I ended up buying a pair!

Compared to the HD25 I used to run they are a class above, if not two - fantastic headphones, lots of clarity, detail and air. Quite flat too but not boring in anyway, similar in many respects to my Epos ES14 speakers, lots of pace rhythm and timing which is exactly what I wanted. They're not for everyone though, certainly not bass-heads. 

They're power hungry monsters though, average listening level is about 12-2 o'clock, not sure how that affects the available headroom (whether it is reduced or not?) but I haven't maxed out the volume either - too loud.

Overall I'm very happy with them paired with the crack, in terms of vfm the two are just astonishing.

Offline The Expanding Man

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:34 PM
Also if you can find one the K340 is excellent with the Crack, I wish that I still had mine!

+1.

I was very impressed with my stock Crack and K340 headphones.

I just put the speedball into the amp this weekend, so I'm starting my listening impressions all over gain.

Paul Dixon