LCD XC on Mainline

Guest · 3081

w0lfd0g

on: March 23, 2014, 07:52:18 PM
Anyone tried the LCD XC with the Mainline? 

Audeze recommend 1W +, but I know from experience that it can be run with with far less and have sufficient volume.

My main priorities are clarity and just a touch of warmth (certainly no treble emphasis)

Cheers

Nathan

w0lfd0g

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:55 PM
OK - Next question if there are no takers

What power does the Mainline output into 22 ohm resistive load?

Thanks

Nathan

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:04:46 AM
According to my design notes, Mainine should make about a half watt into 22 ohms, on either impedance switch setting.

Paul Joppa

w0lfd0g

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:36 AM
Thanks Paul

w0lfd0g

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:25:23 PM
Bother - Looks like I will have to go with the S.E.X. Amp for the LCD XC if Audeze are right in their optimal amping requirements.  Had my heart set on the Mainline given that they go so well with the T1s.

I am sure that there is much more to amp matching and synergy than power output.  Was hoping for a single TOTL amp that would suit all my current cans and likely future purchases.

Cheers

Nathan

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:06:20 PM
I won't argue with the manufacturer, but I can do some calculations. At the recommended 1 to 4 watts, and at the rated sensitivity of 95dB/mW, you would get peak powers of 115 to 121dB. A half watt would be 112dB.

Paul Joppa

w0lfd0g

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:40:41 PM
My goodness, plenty of room for adjustment on the attenuator then.

I think between your good self and Lachlan (Loquah) I have been convinced to take the Mainline. 

I am looking for exceptional detail, bass tightness and smooth highs.  Combine this with limited tube rolling options, I think the Mainline fits the bill. 

Just need to save the pennies.

Cheers

Nathan
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:51:05 PM by w0lfd0g »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:15:31 AM
Yeah, I would suspect that they'd like to see 1W at 8 Ohms, which is generally how amplifiers are rated, then the drop in power as the load impedance increases will be acceptable at that power level. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 02:09:09 PM
My goodness, plenty of room for adjustment on the attenuator then.

I think between your good self and Lachlan (Loquah) I have been convinced to take the Mainline. 

I am looking for exceptional detail, bass tightness and smooth highs.  Combine this with limited tube rolling options, I think the Mainline fits the bill. 

Just need to save the pennies.

Cheers

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I'm guessing you've seen my recent comments on the Bottlehead Comparison thread over on Head-Fi, but just in case you haven't, I find the Mainline and S.E.X. both do a great job with the HE-500s (which are slightly more demanding than the LCD-XC I think). I find that I prefer the way the HE-500 pairs with the S.E.X. because the sound becomes a little more organic and lush, but if I was to choose just one amp I would choose the Mainline.

Interestingly, everything that makes the Mainline better with dynamic drivers (better bass, smoother presentation) seems to go the opposite way with planars (if LCD-2s and HE-500s are sufficiently representative). I don't know if it's a matter of having a little extra current available - perhaps one of the gurus here can assist with a technical explanation as I find planars to still fit in the "black magic" category when it comes to understanding how they interact with different amps and different impedances, etc.

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound