Feedback on PC USB DAC's

fredrickj · 10668

Offline fredrickj

on: April 02, 2014, 07:14:40 AM
My only source for my music is a laptop Pc (Windows).  I am looking for a really good DAC for under $300.  What are you all using if you're using a USB DAC?

thanks

Offline Kris

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:38:44 AM
I use ODAC and I'm quiet impressed with the little guy.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:25:50 AM
The ODAC is very hard to beat for the money, it really is a bargain.  The Firefly is also highly rated, and costs roughly the same.  You could actually buy both for $300.

M.McCandless

Offline kgoss

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:19:07 AM
I'm using a Musical Fidelity V-DAC while I wait on the Bottlehead DAC.  The  V-DAC is good but I'm sure the BH DAC will be much better. Much more expensive too.

Ken Goss

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:42 AM
Schitt Modi great sound and price.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline fredrickj

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:11:46 PM
I'm currently vacillating between the Schiit Modi and Bifrost.  Any one using the Bifrost?

Offline mcandmar

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:34 PM
The ODAC is a better DAC than the Modi so i would skip that one, the Bifrost is highly spoken of but considerably more expensive by the time you add USB and and the upgraded IV stage.  For that kind of budget i would be waiting to see what the Bottlehead offering is going to cost.

M.McCandless

Offline fredrickj

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:25 PM
Any idea when BH will come out with their DAC?

Offline jboehle

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:06:54 PM
I haven't heard the ODAC but I am enjoying the pupDAC I built.

http://www.diyforums.org/PupDAC/PupDACoverview.php

Offline mcandmar

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:12:15 PM
Funny you should mention the pupdac kit, there is one in the mail on its way to me, going to use it with my portable setup for work :)

M.McCandless

Offline mcandmar

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 03:19:57 PM
Finished building my PupDAC this evening and i am deeply impressed with it.  vs the ODAC it seems more refined, especially top end. Where the ODAC can sometimes sound flat and lifeless dynamically this little Pup has a deeper set of lungs.

Downside, for $120 is roughly the same cost as an ODAC, and its USB interface is limited to 16bit only.  I suspect it may not measure as well as the ODAC in THD and other measurements but it sounds better to me.  Really wasn't expecting that as i bought it to trow in my laptop bag and use in work. Now it might actually stay hooked upto the S.E.X. amp until the Botthehead DAC comes out.

Worth pointing out, if a Crack / S.E.X. amp is a 5/10 in difficulty, this is a 20.  SMD components are no fun at all to work with.

M.McCandless

Offline jboehle

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:26:26 PM
Yeah, particularly the chips, those were a real pain in my ass.  Luckily I did not rush things.  I did the chips and then went to bed, checked them again with a magnifying glass in the morning sun and found a couple of bridges my tired eyes did not see the night before.  Just like any DIY, go slow, take your time, double & triple check connections, it will turn out okay :)

Offline hardisondan

Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 07:43:00 PM
Finished building my PupDAC this evening and i am deeply impressed with it.  vs the ODAC it seems more refined, especially top end. Where the ODAC can sometimes sound flat and lifeless dynamically this little Pup has a deeper set of lungs.

Downside, for $120 is roughly the same cost as an ODAC, and its USB interface is limited to 16bit only.  I suspect it may not measure as well as the ODAC in THD and other measurements but it sounds better to me.  Really wasn't expecting that as i bought it to trow in my laptop bag and use in work. Now it might actually stay hooked upto the S.E.X. amp until the Botthehead DAC comes out.

Worth pointing out, if a Crack / S.E.X. amp is a 5/10 in difficulty, this is a 20.  SMD components are no fun at all to work with.

Is there a Bottlehead DAC coming out? Please say yes.

Offline hardisondan

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:58:33 PM
Sorry, my first ever post and I ask a dumb question!

2 seconds after I pressed post I saw the thread on the kickstarter DAC project.

Dan

Offline mcandmar

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:06 AM
Welcome.  There is a Bottlehead DAC in the works but it will be in the four digit price range so not really comparable to the above.

I made the comment above that i suspected the PupDAC wouldn't measure as well as the ODAC.  Since then i have played with RMAA and made a few measurements and found the opposite to be true.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:01:19 AM by mcandmar »

M.McCandless