Yet another...

Flyin_V · 1247

Offline Flyin_V

on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:58 AM
Finally got my Quickie 1.0 finished (thanks Eileen for the upgraded resistors). It worked perfectly on startup and I was shocked at how good it sounded. Thanks to all the Bottlehead folks for taking the time and effort to bring this product out and all the people of this forum. I used it with a pair of 6W, solid state, class A, single ended amps and the sound was so much better than I expected. I don't doubt that replacement of the volume control and out put caps (and installation of PJCCS) will make sonic improvements, but for now, it's plenty good! Well, other than when the tubes sing along with the tunes.

Does anyone actually know someone who has a pair of good tubes for sale. I've looked off and on for a couple of months and am having no luck.

This kit was so much fun I think I'll try a Stereomour next. First fix is only $100, but the next one...

Thanks all and good listening.

Lary

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:03:01 PM
I have tried a lot of different tubes for the quickie and my favorites so far are Philips, Telefunken, Mullard, and old ex mil RCA's from the 1940's.

This seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=cyord&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=dl92&_sacat=0&_from=R40 is worth watching as he lists all sorts of interesting tubes on a regular basis.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:05:35 AM
We are shipping French labeled Amperex DL-92's with the current kit that I think are made in Holland.  (In other words, you could get an awesome set of tubes and they come with a preamp!)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Flyin_V

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:03 AM
Thanks for the info mcandmar, I snagged some from him.