It had to happen eventually... capacitor upgrade question for the Mainline

Loquah · 43913

Offline SmashBruh

In my Mainline i went for Mundorf Supreme 10uf SGO's (because i thought they would just fit when i measured on pictures). These just did not fit, by 1mm or so. You can secure them a bit higher up in the amp with some zipties.
They were a bit too expensive not to try. They sound good.

So, I'm about to install the same capacitors in my mainline because I got a good deal on them and had a little bit of a question regarding securing it-

Is it okay if the capacitors touch other components? Or do they need to be completely free-standing? I'm not really sure how hot those two top blocks on the side get or if it's bad if the capacitor touches the PCB so I just thought I'd check.

Offline SmashBruh

So for some reason the Mumforf 10uf SSGO juuuust got inside my mainline. Tom-a pretty much hits it on the head with his review. They sound good. Mine had 10 hours of use when I put them in but the more I listen the more I notice has improved. As of now I don’t think the upgrade was super worth the money, but I reserve the right to change my mind lol

Offline Tom-s

I'm very glad how it worked out for you. I think in my Mainline they just didn't fit. It's a matter of mm's. Don't have any pictures of the undersides unfortunately.
Let us know what you've come to think of the Mainline after some months of use! Do post in the headphones with Mainline thread! For me it's a magical pairing with HD800's. It's absolutely stellar. Never heard an amp like it (and have been to a massive amount of headphones shows over the last few years).

Offline SmashBruh

I'm very glad how it worked out for you. I think in my Mainline they just didn't fit. It's a matter of mm's. Don't have any pictures of the undersides unfortunately.
Let us know what you've come to think of the Mainline after some months of use! Do post in the headphones with Mainline thread! For me it's a magical pairing with HD800's. It's absolutely stellar. Never heard an amp like it (and have been to a massive amount of headphones shows over the last few years).

So it's been a few months and I swear to god that the SGO's really opened up! I haven't gone back to the old Daytons because desoldering is a PITA for me/I'm not inclined to, but the texture of notes, dynamics, base response and detail retrieval really opened up! Imo they've made the amp rather less polite than it used to be and far more lively! It definitely sounds a little "tubier" than it used to, but it's still very tight and detailed. I also use my mainline out of it's balancedconnection with the HD650, ZMF Atticus, Verite and Auteur. They all sound fantastic out of the mainline but I have to say the Auteurs and Verite really pair beautifully with this amp when upgraded.

Offline hsdrggr

If anyone needs a pair of Mundorf Supreme Filter Caps, 10uf.  I have a new pair that I just received for my Mainline and then changed my mind and ordered a pair of 15uf Caps. I order from Europe, so not worth the cost of returning the set of 10uf caps.
I'm in the United States, Florida to be exact and will ship them for free anywhere in CONUS. Price is $90 for the pair.

Retired Firefighter

BH Crack w/ speedball
BH Mainline

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Hey everyone, I got the urge for another cap upgrade recently when I found a well priced pair of 800V 15uF Jantzen Superior Z-Caps on eBay. Installed them tonight and I'm noticing some really nice improvements over the Auricaps I had in there before (regular Auricaps, not XO as far as I know). The Jantzens, even without burn-in time, have a really nice attack to them that is a bit faster than the Auricaps which were really nice, but the Jantzens sound more transparent so far and I expect they'll only improve over time.

I'll provide another update after some further listening, but I can recommend these as a very affordable significant upgrade (just over $100 USD for the pair) for the Mainline coupling caps.

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline amirhosein

Has anyone tried changing the transformers to toroidal ones?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Has anyone tried changing the transformers to toroidal ones?
If you changed the power transformer to a toroidal one, I would expect enormous noise issues (despite what the marketing literature claims for them).

I haven't seen line level toroidal output transformers but I would speculate that high frequency response would suffer a bit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Love Rhino

For advice: do you think it would be more beneficial to replace the stock 10uf caps with something higher end like an auricap xo, or to instead keep the stock caps and do a bypass with a higher end .1 uf cap?

Or go crazy and do both :)?

Just found myself in the upgrade stage of both my mainline and my crack!  Appreciate any opinions!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I would recommend performing that experiment on your own.  The results that I have observed don't tend to agree with the mainstream philosophies.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

So for some reason the Mumforf 10uf SSGO juuuust got inside my mainline. Tom-a pretty much hits it on the head with his review. They sound good. Mine had 10 hours of use when I put them in but the more I listen the more I notice has improved. As of now I don’t think the upgrade was super worth the money, but I reserve the right to change my mind lol
I put these cpas in my Mainline and liked them right from the start.
I have about 30 hours on them and they are a real improvement (for my tastes).
I have these caps in the para-feed position on all my amps (vice the Crack) - I guess I like what they do to each component.
The result of Cap changes are indeed subjective so be careful spending this much money on the changes ....

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Love Rhino

Auricap XO 10uf 400vdc arrived and have been installed in the mainline.  Re-biased, and currently putting some time on them! 
They fit very comfortably, no issues.

Offline juihung

Hey everyone, I got the urge for another cap upgrade recently when I found a well priced pair of 800V 15uF Jantzen Superior Z-Caps on eBay. Installed them tonight and I'm noticing some really nice improvements over the Auricaps I had in there before (regular Auricaps, not XO as far as I know). The Jantzens, even without burn-in time, have a really nice attack to them that is a bit faster than the Auricaps which were really nice, but the Jantzens sound more transparent so far and I expect they'll only improve over time.

I'll provide another update after some further listening, but I can recommend these as a very affordable significant upgrade (just over $100 USD for the pair) for the Mainline coupling caps.
Hi Loquah,

If you have any updates, I am interested to hear from you on your impressions of the Jantzen Superior Z-Caps.  Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:02:09 PM by juihung »

Offline Love Rhino

In the following statement (taken from the capacitors web page) the outer lead would be connected to 20 and 30?

"The outer lead out, closest to the edge of the capacitor, is connected to the outer foil and as such should be connected to the lowest impedance path to ground, generally the signal output."

Thank you!

Offline Audioraider

Greetings,
I want to install a set of .1uf vcaps as bypass caps in my mainline. They have a red and black lead. What side does the red league go to?