Blumenstein Mola!

Gerry E. · 9875

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 07:20:29 AM
Clark,

Great and thanks for re-checking this. My F120A speaker really couldn't cut it for much more than background music with my 1.6 watt SE el84 amp. I loved that amp so very reluctantly sold the speakers which I also loved. And of course, later on sold the amp too (that was Bottlehead's fault :-) ), so live and learn.

I sold the speakers to a neighbor who is driving them with a rather inexpensive PP el84 (15 watts) and they sound great now.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:49:53 AM
Hi folks, we are currently offering introductory pricing on the Mola's 

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/mola-fullrange/

Its a great time to hop on board!

Enjoy the Memorial day weekend!

Clark

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Hi Clark,

Can you confirm something for me? The Mola page says that the birch molas are made of 1/2" birch, while the plyboo ones are 3/4". Is this atypo oris there a reason for this difference in wall thickness?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 05:29:17 PM
Hi Clark,

Can you confirm something for me? The Mola page says that the birch molas are made of 1/2" birch, while the plyboo ones are 3/4". Is this atypo oris there a reason for this difference in wall thickness?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for asking!

The Classic Centerset version of the Mola is built as a 1/2 inch Birch cabinet in order to match height/width/depth to any 1/2 inch dungeness we've made.   Now, these Centerset cabinets do look a little funny in pictures, but everyone who drops by says that they are more charming in person.  It happens to be the Home Theater Center Channel and also the truly "IKEA expedit ready" version of the Mola, because it is the same external dimensions as a Dungeness, which is also at home in every way when set (humbly) inside an Expedit. 

Alternatively, Centerset Mola's can stack on top of a pair of any 1/2 inch Dungeness we've ever made to become a truly big horsepower bookshelf, and its all surprisingly straightforward to hook up.  If there isn't enough height for the double stack, then the Mola's/Dungeness could also be placed in formations inside of expedits and they still sound great.  (can you tell that I like the IKEA Expedit?)

We also built a Chocolate Deluxe Mola Centerset and the sound improved in a similar fashion to the differences between Orca Classic and Deluxe which was kind of cool to hear happen.

----

Now to answer your question about wall thickness: we have not yet made a pair of Classic Mola Fullrange cabinets in Birch so I couldn't tell you exactly.  However, based upon the solid results that we got from the pair of Chocolate Deluxe Fullrange layout Mola cabinets which we did make, we are definitely going to be opting for 3/4" Birch in the Classic version as well for the Front, Back, Top and Bottom, and Sides.  All 3/4 becomes necessary in a bigger cabinet like the Fullrange keeps down resonances because of the greater surface area to volume relationship in this cabinet profile (as compared to the Centerset). 

However, we are willing to built in either 1/2 or 3/4 in birch or bamboo by custom order (especially in order to match pre-existing gear).

Oh BTW, we recently built some shorter, beefier format stand columns for the Mola series, I'll have to put up some pictures soon!

Clark
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:41:50 PM by Clark B. »

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 03:16:59 PM
Just wanted to leak a few photos of a new floorstander model using the same Fostex 5" driver as the Molas (they'll be offered with the alnico version as well)  ;)

Folks who've watched Clark's work for awhile will likely recognize the inspiration from the now discontinued Naga design. These are in birch with walnut faces and have an integrated passive subwoofer.

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 04:10:42 AM
Just wanted to leak a few photos of a new floorstander model using the same Fostex 5" driver as the Molas (they'll be offered with the alnico version as well)  ;)

Folks who've watched Clark's work for awhile will likely recognize the inspiration from the now discontinued Naga design. These are in birch with walnut faces and have an integrated passive subwoofer.

Hey Molly:

Since no one else has, I'll bite!  Besides, I started this Mola thread and an integrated floor stander is even more exciting!

I know it's early but any information on name, price, sensitivity, impedance, frequency response, availability, etc?  Thanks!

Gerry     
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:18:45 AM by Gerry E. »

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 09:39:06 AM
I know it's early but any information on name, price, sensitivity, impedance, frequency response, availability, etc?  Thanks!

Gerry     

Hi Gerry!

More info here: http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/mako-floorstander/

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio