Blumenstein/Bottlehead Home Theater

Doc B. · 6109

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:23 AM
I finally have a couple of pics of our home theater that uses Bottlehead amps and Blumenstein speakers. Those are Orcas and Dungeness subs for the fronts, an Orca center channel for the center, a BUF sub for the effects channel, and more Orcas for the surrounds. Screen is 96", with a Sony G70 CRT projector, Oppo BD-103 bluray player, Mac Mini for Amazon streaming, Steremour for the fronts and S.E.X. amps for the surrounds and center channel.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:06:50 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:17 AM
I look forward to seeing it in person some day!

Aaron Johnson

Offline wullymc

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:02:50 PM
Very nice setup Doc!!

I would love to see how things are wired up.  I am used to a 5.1 receiver for home theatre.    It is too bad I live so far away to make a visit.  Someday though I will come! :)

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 05:08:34 AM
The trick to the whole setup is using the Oppo, which has volume control, rear delay, and inputs for other sources like the Mac. The amps connect right to the analog outputs of the Oppo and everything is handled from the remote control for the Oppo and a tiny little handheld bluetooth keyboard/touchpad for the Mac. I used CAT5 to wire it all, splitting the wires in the jacket to a hot set and a cold set so that just one CAT5 cable runs to each speaker.

The only complaint I have with the setup is that you can't enlarge the text size on a Mac desktop, which makes it difficult to read it on the projection screen.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:10:40 PM
And yes, if anyone is interested in checking out the setup please contact me.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:32 AM
Dan,

Just curious, how big is the room?

Also, if you go into preferences on the mini, choose accessibility and visual there is a setting in there for screen enlargement that should work across the entire mac. I can't give you any more pointers than that as I never use screen enlargement.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:18 AM
The room is about 11 x 14 with a 8'3" ceiling. I did try the accessibility settings on the Mac, but didn't find one that would increase the size of the font on the menu bar without changing the resolution. There is apparently a command you can give after you boot, through a console. But you have to do it each time you boot up. I did get the font set a little bigger in Safari and that helped with the other stuff I was having trouble seeing clearly.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 12:51:39 PM
I'll be setting up my own Orca 5.1 system once I can get myself a center channel but I had a question about set-up in the meantime.  I have the old Blumenstein BUF Sub and external (100watt?) amp.  My receiver will be the NAD T748.  I'd like to know how best to hook up the Sub to my system.  The receiver has an auto-setup feature designed to optimize the sound based off speaker placement and I'm hopping it will work with well with my sub amp.  Would I still use the speaker wire connection from the R/L front receiver output or the low level RCA inputs included in the amp?  Looking forward to listening to the high-res music albums I own!

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 01:06:28 PM
Hi Thomas,

Assuming the subwoofer RCA outputs on your NAD are pre-tailored by Dolby 5.1 dsp, you'll want to use that as the signal to the 100-watt sub amplifier you have, and turn the crossover level of the sub amp all the way up to the max. Use the gain to adjust the volume level.

Feel free to shoot me an email or give us a phone call if you need any further advice.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 01:43:40 PM
Thanks Clark,

I'll take a crack at it myself and let you know if I have problems getting it to work appropriately.

When do you anticipate the center channels will be built?  I remember Molly saying you were looking at sourcing some wood that matches the Caramelized finish of the 1/2" Orcas.  I plan on setting things up toward the end of July when I have time to do so!

How many other users have a Blumenstein 5.1 system?

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 10:12:08 AM
Thomas, we have a few odds and ends to tie up on the order board, though we are pretty well caught up at this point, and then we'll begin the next batch that you'll be in within a week or so. I'll say 3-4 weeks to be safe.  Sometimes we have to ship up panels via freight specifically for orders like yours where there is a specific color tone to match.  So I'll have a more solid estimate for you as soon as my plywood supplier calls me back with the options.

I havent kept track of all the 5.1 systems, but its in the double digits.  Some folks had high end amplification, some less high end, and some with just mid fi receivers.  As far as we know people are really enjoying them.  The warm sound lends itself well to daily use in prettymuch any application.

Its so awesome that you are doing this.  I'm a huge believer in good hifi speakers for multimedia purposes.

Clark

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 04:17:41 PM
Just a quick update.  I've managed to hook up the system and get audio playing through all the channels.  I'm still in the process of sorting out all the connections and features of the amp trying to find the settings depending on my source.  NAD has a proprietary EARS mode that is able to take stereo recordings and pull out ambient information which it sends to the rear channels, resulting in a pretty convincing 5.1 sound from only 2 channel files.  I've notice the low bass sounds a little detached from the rest of the sounds in several songs but it has been hit or miss.  I will continue to wade through the receiver settings until I comprehend how to get everything dialed in tight. 

Offline cspirou

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 05:28:02 AM
Do you have the amps wired to a central location so you can turn them all one at once? Or is it plugged in a typical way and you make a lap in order to turn everything on? By my count you have 3 amps and 3 subs to turn on. Including the Oppo makes 7 things to watch a movie.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:30:37 AM by cspirou »

Gaël Nguyen
Biophysicist and DIY audio enthusiast

My Setup so far; DIY Fostex fe83en speakers, Koss MV1 Studio Headphones, HIFIMAN re-400 and Topping TP21 amp.

Work in progress; gainclone and an Aleph 30 amp

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 05:46:17 AM
For what it's worth, I have a setup with three amps and three subs. The amps sit with the bluray player and the reomtes all, sit with that stuff. So the drill is switch on the three amps the projector and the player. There is also a Mac mini for Amazon and youtube stuff but it stays on as do the subs. It's such a satisfying setup that walking over and throwing more than one switch is not too big a deal.

Of course this is coming from someone who has to throw about 20 switches to fire up the big system at work.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline cspirou

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 05:53:26 AM
I guess if you compare it to the ritual needed to play an LP then flipping a few switches to watch a movie is easy.

Although now I am curious what your work system is!

Gaël Nguyen
Biophysicist and DIY audio enthusiast

My Setup so far; DIY Fostex fe83en speakers, Koss MV1 Studio Headphones, HIFIMAN re-400 and Topping TP21 amp.

Work in progress; gainclone and an Aleph 30 amp