Bottlehead DAC - making it happen with Kickstarter?

Doc B. · 17704

Loon

Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 06:10:34 PM
Count me in.  I will raise the money somehow, possibly through selling stuff on eBay. 

I may not have heard the DAC, but I believe in the Doc and the rest of the gang at Bottlehead. Willing to put my money where my mouth is.  Remember, my serial number is 007.   8)

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 06:58:05 PM
Sadly, I'm out at that price. I was expecting 1 to 1.2k max. Too bad too, I've been waiting several years for this. :(

Anyway, I hope that those who participate will post your impressions of how it sounds here.

-- Natural Sound, bummed out in the high desert southwest.

Offline shipsupt

Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:04 PM
I'd prefer to deal with Bottlehead direct, but I'm cool with Kickstarter if that helps bring the DAC to market.

Either way I'm down for a unit for sure!

Chris

Chris

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:05 PM
To high for me unfortunately at the moment, I do think Kickstarter is a good way to proceed.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline debk

Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:41 AM
It is more than I thought it would be, but I will probably participate in the Kickstarter campaign

Debra
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:51:21 AM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline nullspace

Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:42 AM
Count me in for one.

John Bauman

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 04:37:13 AM
With my recent experience with the DAC kind of stomping all over a $3000 music server I am tempted to put together a few more comparisons. Working now to see if I can schedule some time at the studio and compare against some of the D/A gear they are using there. If this works out perhaps we can schedule a listening session for Bay Area folks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 04:57:05 AM
Guys, please make this happen.  I want to get one when I get the next contract job.

I have complete faith in Bottlehead and John.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:28:44 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline caffeinator

Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 05:03:41 AM
I think the Kickstarter Campaign is an inspired idea, and I'll find a way to back it.

I've had some less than ideal experiences with Kickstarter projects - late delivery, even as much as a year late, is a frequent problem - but I can't imagine that happening with this project.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 06:06:43 AM
They normally have different levels of commitments to help raise funds I cant afford a dac but would happily stump up for a T shirt or cap!

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 06:08:58 AM
First thought: There is a huge difference in sales between certain perceptual breakpoints. A very large one of these is between $1499 and $1500. That isn't just a game people play to annoy you with change. If you float a product at both and check the numbers it is clear this is a discontinuity in human perception. You will sell far more for one dollar less. Or even one cent less. I, too, will have to give this more thought before committing at the higher price. Even though I'm sure that price is justified. However, for purposes of a potential Kickstarter, if there was any wiggle room to offer it at or below $1499 that could end up being a make or break for the campaign. Even if the campaign ends up being successful, this would make it much more so.

Second thought: Kickstarter works great to support nascent projects like this. However, turning things around, what happens if you have runaway success? If you can get several favorable comparisons against standalone DACs in the $3k+ range, it's not outside the realm of possibility. Light Harmonic Labs raised 1.2 million on IndieGoGo for the Geek Pulse DAC (much lower priced at base, but with all optional upgrades they ended up offering it approached $1k). The point is, if you ended up with 100+ orders instead of 20, could you handle that? Unless you enable limited reward levels - and I strongly recommend this - Kickstarter has no upper bound. Some campaigns have limited rewards imposing an upper bound on their commitment, and add additional limited categories with later delivery dates if the initial ones fill. This is probably your best model. The other issue with such a "runaway success" campaign is that even if your costs end up lower, Kickstarter doesn't let you modify existing reward levels to pass those savings on (or to entice additional buyers who might have been on the fence at the original price). Ergo, most runaway success campaigns end up offering additional bonuses or upgrades via stretch goals so backers get more as the project's marginal costs decrease.

I don't have clear answers, but wanted to at least bring these topics up for consideration before you go live.

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 06:20:20 AM
Nothing about the DAC project is simple. Would not have thought about the Kickstarter issues.
Any thoughts as to when you would do the ask?

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 06:20:47 AM
The point is, if you ended up with 100+ orders instead of 20, could you handle that?

The board manufacturer has indicated the ability to handle an order like this pretty easily, and we have to buy over 100 of the "custom" chips anyway, so this would only be marginally more difficult than 20. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 06:27:16 AM
I'd still like to know what will happen to the price if the Kickstarter is a success. Will it go up, down, or stay the same?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 06:36:02 AM
I'd still like to know what will happen to the price if the Kickstarter is a success. Will it go up, down, or stay the same?

There is a presumption that after the Kickstarter, there will be a product page on our website and the ability to purchase said product and receive it in 3-6 weeks (like our other kits).  This may or may not be the case, as we have to balance what is roughly twice the cost for a small production run of these boards vs. trying to order the "right" large quantity. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man