Rike output caps?

johnsonad · 2594

Offline johnsonad

on: May 20, 2014, 09:16:38 AM
Has anyone tried Rike Audio output caps in their BeePre?  I'm considering them the next time Parts Connexion has a sale now that they are a dealer for them.  I'm currently running KBG's but every time I replace a KBG with a Rike cap it's an improvement.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:53 PM
I'd be more inclined to get the V-cap OIMP's.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:48 PM
Really? Have you had good luck with them?

Aaron Johnson

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:04:34 PM
V-Cap OIMP's have been an utter disappointment every time I tried them.  In my tries they never lost the plasticky glare with an "un-involving" sonic signature.  Russian K42's, at about 100th the cost, or Mundorf metalized polypro in oil,  at closer cost, bested the OIMP's everytime.  They are not PIO's and, IMO, do not sound like PIO's.

The Rike are true PIO's, as are the KBG's.  My experience has been both of these caps are far better sounding in terms of timbre, imaging and soundstage.  But bear in mind, I do not like the sound of metalized polyprop caps. The OIMP's, K42's and Mundorf silver do sound better than MPP. ( A bit closer to PIO).

Rike S caps are pretty much "The Top Cap" for me.  I am hearing good things about the new Jensen copper foil wax paper caps. 

I do like to spice my cap mixes with the V-Cap TFTF and now, (thanks to a generous fellow Bottlehead), the CuTF's.  Mostly for interstage coupling caps.  Chris got those caps right, but IMO, forget the OIMP's. (Sorry PB!)

Of course, as in all things, (and especially boutiques caps)...YMMV!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:13:52 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline aroide

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:07:48 PM
After researching a bit, and trying the Mundorf SIO in my class D amp (they work great there), I put ClarityCap MR in my Beepre.  They are very neutral and much more detailed than stock caps.

Cap rolling is exhausting, so I'm done. :D

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 06:11:04 AM
I forgot to post on this... I tried a Rike PIO in my BeePre but it was too much for my system and didn't sound all that great so the KBG's are back.

Aaron Johnson