Help with Resistance Checks [solved]

bkanaley · 1176

Offline bkanaley

on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:08 AM
Hi,
I completed my Crack build, reviewed all the wiring and did the resistance checks. I ran into one anomaly and I want to ask for some assistance. When I do the resistance check on terminal 13 the meter starts around 20 mega ohms and drops from there. Is there something I should be looking for in the power supply area? The other varying resistance checks (terminals 1, 2, 4, 5) followed the notes in the manual. All other resistance checks were spot on.  As a result of this I have not done any voltage checks yet. I will try to include a picture if that helps any.
thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:59:31 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 05:33:32 PM
If 13 isn't very low, then you're safe to proceed to voltages.

Some meters can read the 270K resistor in that position, but most can't. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline bkanaley

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:55:49 AM
Thanks  ;D I'll go ahead and do the voltage checks and hopefully report back on the wonderful sounds of a fully functioning Crack amp. I'll include pictures too.
Thanks again

Offline bkanaley

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 05:48:10 AM
OK I did the voltage checks and everything checked out fine so I plugged in an old portabel CD player and took a listen. With cheap headphones and the poratble it sounded great. Had to see how my HD600s woudl sound and they were wonderful. Wow I want to get this into my system but I have to finish the base.
Yes anouther happy crack fanatic.
Here is a picture of the completed crack.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:05 AM
That turned out great!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline bkanaley

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:21:21 AM
 Yes, until I moved it into my system. I lost the left channel. So far I confirmed it is not an input issue so tonight I'll do the resistance checks and voltage checks again (start with the basics). I suspect it to be the ever illusive cold solder joint. LEDS were lit; both tubes were glowing so I am looking at the connections on the output side first. It made me study the schematic more and that is part of the whole trip:)

Offline bkanaley

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:06:15 AM
OK, all is well. I re-flowed a couple of solder connections and it sounds better than ever. Now I can break it in and start assembling the speed ball boards. Thanks guys for a great and fun project.