Yeah! Built my Crack! Need to pad down my volume- PICTURE POSTED

Nathan · 4820

Offline Nathan

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:27 AM
It would be easier to parallel in some 150K ohm resistors. Same net effect and if I prefered it at 75K ohm, I could just snip them out

Crack/Speedball, SEX 2.1/C4S, Bryston BHA-1

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 11:32:21 AM

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Nathan

Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:50 PM
Ok-

Anyone know where I can get just 2 resistors without paying more in shipping than the cost of the resistors?

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 07:55:38 PM
Ok-

Anyone know where I can get just 2 resistors without paying more in shipping than the cost of the resistors?

At you local electronics shop.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nathan

Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 04:24:05 AM
RS?  Only have carbon in stock-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 05:59:50 AM
RS?  Only have carbon in stock-

Carbon will work.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nathan

Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 10:34:24 AM
Here's my built Crack
Tube compliment is a Tung Sol 5998 and Mullard 12AU7, both NOS
I've padded down the volume control using 2 33k Ohm resistors on the outer legs of the volume control and 75K ohm resistors on the hot pins at the RCA's. Next step is to reduce the resistance at the hot pins to 50K ohms. I'm inclined to trying some paralleled 150K ohm resistors and if that's 'just right' then just putting in some 50K ohm resistiors. Once that's done I'm going to put a few spots of hot melt glue between the base and top plate so the top plate doesn't move around every time I pull the headphone plug.  I can't imagine how much better a Speedball could be!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:43:11 AM by Nathan »

Offline Nathan

Larger image

Offline JamieMcC

Is that stained Nathan? if so its came out really nice and even. It reminded me of your native Jarrah wood when I first saw the pic.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Nathan

Thank You! 

It's stained. With this sort of wood, you have to use a pre-stain otherwise you run a real risk of the stain being blotchy.

Here's what I did to finish the base.  After assembly I used a power sander to get it nice and smooth. Some compressed air and then tack cloth to get rid of the dust. Then pre-stain. After the pre-stain, I did multiple coats of stain. Then I used a semi gloss polyurathane, sanding between coats and once again, using compressed air and tack cloth.  Were I to do this again, the only thing I would do different would be to use steel wool between coats of polyurathane (did 3 coats). I used steel wool between poly coats on another wood project and like the results better but someone talked me out of using the steel wool, saying I run the risk of tiny bits of the steel breaking off and embedding into the wood. That had never been my experience and I don't know why I listened.

Came out quite nice anyway . . . .

PS- this is my first BH kit. Must be another Nathan lurking around as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:33:09 PM by Nathan »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
The alder takes stain quite nicely without a sealer. IME the best approach is to use water base aniline dye.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Nathan

Could be the analine is the best approach. Note that Minwax specifically recommends their prestain on alder. I suppose there is more than one road to the same destination