Eros Phono vs. Transcendent Sound phono preamp

Anton · 27383

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 02:52:05 AM
  .  .  .   If I were to offer one suggestion, it would be to read your instruction manual a few times before you start.  Bottlehead provides excellent manuals, and they are very informative in helping you to familiarize yourself with the building process.  .  .  .   

When poster Paully, Paul, bought his he sent me the manual and I read it twice before he came over and we assembled the audio portion of the Eros.  Paul had assembled all the circuit boards first so we did the rest of the assembly.

When I say we, Paul works, I look over his shoulder.

Offline Anton

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:47 AM
While I am waiting for delivery...
What tools will I need to assemble Eros pre-amp? So I can buy all required tools before it arrives.
And I was wondering if anybody has Eros instruction manual in PDF format (or any other format for that matter) - if you could you send it to my personal e-mal ([email protected])?

Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 04:31:02 AM
Check this post:

Suggested First Project Tools

You will have a number of those and you will probably purchase a few.  I really do recommend the used Fluke meters.  Most, I can give you some suggestions, are easier to use because you just set AC or DC voltage and it changes ranges (autoranging) for you.  By one Fluke you never buy another meter.

You might contact the Queen about sending a PDF file of the manual.  It is very large because of the many photographs.  It wouldn't pass through most email providers.  But since you have ordered you might get her to send the manual separately.

Enjoy the build, slowly, then the music!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:32:57 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 07:11:53 AM
We don't email manuals. The PDF files are way too big.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Anton

Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:55 AM
Grainger,
Thanks for recommendations. Regarding Fluke Multimeter - which model would you recommend?
I saw quite a few offers on ebay - but don't know which model I need.

Thanks
Anton

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline JC

Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 08:58:44 AM
Personally, I have been very happy with my Fluke Model 26 III.  If I recall correctly, it is a "ruggedized" version of the Model 77.  The reasons I like it are: It is Auto-Ranging, as Grainger mentioned; it powers itself off after a certain amount of time of inactivity, which has saved me on batteries; besides the basic functions of a DMM, it also operates as a frequency counter, at least within the audio range, and it has a small range of capacitance checking.

You will not need these extra features to complete your Bottlehead kit, of course, but if you get the "bug" and decide to pursue this hobby, they are handy features to have!

As far as hand tools are concerned, you may already have what you will need: A selection of screwdrivers; small nut-drivers are handy, but not absolutely necessary; needle-nosed pliers; a good wire-stripper; a good soldering iron in the 35W-45W range, with small screwdriver or chisel type tip.  It is nice to have a stand for the iron, and a cleaning sponge you can keep damp to wipe the iron as you use it.

There are other "nice-to-haves", but this should get you started.

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:29:53 AM
Grainger,
Thanks for recommendations. Regarding Fluke Multimeter - which model would you recommend?
I saw quite a few offers on ebay - but don't know which model I need.

Thanks
Anton

Anton,

You have a PM with a bunch of links.

Grainger

Offline Anton

Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 06:19:56 AM
Great news!
I've got my Eros delivered yesterday. So - I guess I am ready to roll. Will read the manual carefully and start assembling this weekend. Have almost all required tools - only waiting for magnifying glass from Amazon.
So wish me luck and be ready for a lot of questions )))