Oops

jopagi · 2396

Offline jopagi

on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:21 PM
After successfully building my Quicksand with no issues a few months ago, I enjoyed great music until the C batteries ran out.   I wasn't too keen on buying more non-recyclable batteries, so I figured I'd re-purpose the two 12-volt SLA batteries from an old RWA Signature 30 amp.   It worked brilliantly until my juryrigging caught up with me, and in a less than stellar moment I connected the batteries in the opposite polarity.   
It took just a few seconds to turn the Quicksand into an acrid smoky mess.  The opamp cracked, and some of the capacitors look swollen.

Now I'm wondering how to proceed.

I could replace some of the components, but I don't know which ones were damaged except for a few obvious ones like the opamp.    Are they all available from Digikey?
I could just buy a new kit, but I'd be throwing away half of it just to get the board and the components.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:57 AM
Oops, that's a rough go!  You'll need to replace all of the capacitors, except maybe the blue ones, and the amplifier itself.  I would just replace the kit itself, as getting all those parts off the board will be a bit tricky. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jopagi

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:06 AM
Thanks Paul,
That's what I'll do.   I'll also dabble with replacing parts on the existing board for my own amusement/edification.
Regards,
Jonathan