Any limitation on the interconnect length to power amp from FPIII?

audiblesoundwave · 15116

Offline ssssly

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 06:42:25 PM
Just to add to the try it and see what you think list. A few years ago it was suggested to me to double up the ground wires. (1 pos strand, 2 neg; 2 pos 4 neg...etc) Don't remember where it came from but I have had positive results.

Be well

Offline glowboy7

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:59 PM
This topic has confused me for a long time.  ...
These electrical fields are picked up by wires like an antenna. They can be drained to ground at either end; the shield intercepts these noises and prevents them from reaching the signal ground wire inside the shield. This is slightly better than having the shield itself be the ground, as in a coaxial interconnect. The current of those noises going to ground still drops a tiny voltage as it finds its way to the earth, and usually the output of a source is less sensitive to those tiny voltages than is the input of the next device, because the source impedance is much lower.

Thank you, Paul.  That clears up a lot.  I like the antenna analogy.   

Gary McGee
Have pocket protector, will travel...

Offline Bern1

Yes, I do 2 hot 2 ground, wiring the braided shield to the RCA connector that is the source (preamp if going preamp to amp, CD player if CD player to preamp). 

I use 2 colors of heatshrink to make left/right pairs of cables, then I use a 1/4" cut of the opposite color of heatshrink to mark the end with the shield connection.  I can post a photo of that if it helps

Hi all, thanks for the great info.

Sorry if this sounds dense, but in this case are you doubling up the connectors in the cable for a single path?  So you still wind up with two completely separate cables, each using the 2 hots, 2 negatives and the shield, one cable each for  L & R?

This is what it sounds like, just want to make sure, thanks!