Wire size for Crack with SB and other important upgrades.

i luvmusic 2 · 5089

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 12:26:25 PM
Step one ordered the Dale 100k dual Attenuator.
Step two wait.

Offline hardisondan

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:24:57 PM
Hello,
I have just completed my Crack with Speedball. I ignored the good advice I read somewhere about completing the standard Crack first and did both in one go. Now I have problems with the resistance tests.

I will post my readings in another post (cry for help) shortly, but this post caught my attention.

I used the left-over red and black wire from my Crack kit for the Speedball because the Speedball wire was too fine for my wire stripper and I kept snapping it. That shouldn't pose a problem should it?

Dan

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 12:50:58 AM
Using the Crack kit wire with Speedball is fine.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 07:55:51 AM
Hello,
I have just completed my Crack with Speedball. I ignored the good advice I read somewhere about completing the standard Crack first and did both in one go. Now I have problems with the resistance tests.

When you remove resistors from the Crack to put the Speedball in, the active loads do not measure as the resistors would. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hardisondan

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:26 PM
When you remove resistors from the Crack to put the Speedball in, the active loads do not measure as the resistors would.

Thanks Paul. I think I will remove the Speedball and go back to the base Crack. But out of interest, do you have any idea what sort of resistance tests/values I should do with the Speedball in? One thing that concerns me is that I was getting a value from 22, which doesn't have anything connected to it. I can't remember what it was now.

Also, wouldn't the earth lug near the power input (just above 16) be a good ground point? It's easier to attach to than 12.

Dan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 04:11:16 PM
The earth lug is a decent ground point, just be sure that the resistance between it and terminal 3 is very low.

With the Speedball in, you need to measure the resistance of every terminal where the unstriped lead of a 220uF 250V cap lands.  They should all be something high.  Then you should measure the path of the black wires that connect all the striped sides of the 220uF 250V caps.  You should be able to read about 0 Ohms from terminal 3 all the way back to where the unbanded ends of the UF4007's meet the first 220uF/250V cap. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hardisondan

Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 05:15:11 PM
Thanks very much Paul.

I will try this before disassembling the speedball and see if I can learn anything.