Question About tube preamps

[email protected] · 2324

Offline [email protected]

on: June 21, 2014, 11:22:52 AM
Hello im new to DIY and want to get started but im not very technically able so I was wondering about a few things.

I have a AMB labs Beta 22 amp that I use to drive some of my headphones and was thinking of adding a tube preamp, into the mix but not sure what to expect, im trying to get more performance out of my K1000. Also would the Smash be sufficient or the 300b preamp be a better choice. I know tubes tend to make things sound less digital/ more warm, but just interested in the more objective benefits and disadvantages to using a tube with beta 22 or a comparable ss amp. Thanks guys!

ps Im not sure if it matters but my dac is a Buffalo 2 and I would be using grados and hifiman headphones with this setup. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:45:59 AM by [email protected] »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:32:43 PM
We have an entire combo that you can try for 200 bones, Quickie preamp and the brand spanking new Quicksand amp. It should rock with K1Ks. Quicksand should begin shipping in about 4 weeks.

http://bottlehead.com/product/quicksand-battery-powered-solid-state-amplifier/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:08:55 PM
In my experience adding the quickie to the chain was a bit too much, it was beautifully detailed but added just a tad too much tubyness in the mid range for my liking, but i was using it to feed a S.E.X. amp to drive my Grados/Hifimans.  With a SS amp at the end of the chain it would probably work very well indeed, and for $99 there really isnt any reason not to give it a try. Having said all that i loved the quickie sound so much i turned mine into a dedicated headphone amp for my Ms-Pros.

Given the caliber of DAC and AMP you are using the new Smash would probably be a better fit, but i haven't tried it myself. ..yet.

M.McCandless