Mainline voltage issues [solved]

dpat1 · 4412

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 08:48:24 AM
The first photo shows two empty "IB" holes, which is a wiring error. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dpat1

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 01:17:11 PM
PB,

You are correct. I can't tell you how many times I looked at the board and missed it. I made the correction and all the LED's lit. I next adjusted the bias for the A side to the correct voltage. I'm now listening to the wonderful sounds of the Mainline! I tested it initially with my Crackheadphones and it made them sound better than they ever have. Next up are my Sennheiser HD800's, then the Beyer T1's and eventually the Alpha Dogs. I will post pictures of the build when I get the base completed.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to help. This is an awesome community and forum!

A note to anyone building a Mainline or any of the other kits. This is more of a lesson’s learned. I think my mistake(s) were made after working a long day and diving into the build while tired and not all there. Obviously the mistakes I made could have been avoided if I would not have been as fatigued. I will abide by this on my future Bottlehead builds. Just sayin…

Regards,
David

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 11:04:01 AM
Congrats David!  Very happy to hear your mainline is now up and running! 

I'll be looking forward to your impressions with your various headphones.  My experience has been that the mainline's pairing with hd800's is seriously as good as headphone audio gets, and the mainline also works wonders with my hd650's. 

The pairing with alpha dogs is very nice, but my current thinking is that fostex orthos aren't influenced quite as much by amps as my dynamics.  I should spend more time with this pairing though.  The AD's spend most of their time in my bedside rig.

Mike M.

Offline dth31

Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:54 PM
"A note to anyone building a Mainline or any of the other kits. This is more of a lesson’s learned. I think my mistake(s) were made after working a long day and diving into the build while tired and not all there. Obviously the mistakes I made could have been avoided if I would not have been as fatigued. I will abide by this on my future Bottlehead builds. Just sayin…"

This is SERIOUSLY good advice.  I think it took me at least 4 kits to learn this lesson!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:06 AM
I'd make the above post a sticky.  I read too many posts about marathon builds that have problems.  Not so many in Mainline but most are first time builders.  I don't think that applies to David.

Offline dpat1

Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 12:49:44 PM
I am almost done with the base and will be able to get some photos up in a few days. That said I'll start a new thread in the Gallery with my build and my impressions with my various cans.

Thanks to all,

David