JJ 2A3 tubes

smithanh · 9370

Offline xcortes

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:52 PM
True or not that's an amazing legend Paul.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Demsy

Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:57 PM
I received the JJ2A3-40 about a month ago, ordered from Eurotubes, but with two different glass envelopes. One with a larger envelope, ceramic base with the logo on the glass, the other one is smaller with bakelite base and the logo on it. Michael of Eurotubes told me that the one with the smaller glass envelope is the new product. And he sent me a replacement direct from JJ in Slovakia, it arrived last week Saturday, with the same specification as the one already with me. Michael also told me that the 6 months warranty starts at the day I receive the replacement tube, which is very fair of them. And I don't have to send the old type back to them.
I must say that the Eurotubes is very responsible and act promptly. Maybe there are some JJ products that came from a bad batch, but with their service I won't hesitate to buy the JJ products from them again.

Offline ee

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:52 AM
I ordered a pair of jj 2a3-40 yesterday from EuroTubes. They sent me an email asking if it was going into a Bottlehead. I had mentioned in the comment area when ordering the tube that BG forum had commented positively about their business.They have had several returns on the tubes in BH gear and he's been exchanging blindly but has done enough that he can't continue to exchange. He said he can't warranty the tubes until the issue is resolved.
Eric

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 08:39:11 AM
The Paramour/Stereomour has been in relatively constant production for 15+ years with roughly the same operating parameters. 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:01:34 AM by Doc B. »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:04 AM
My take on this is that we design amps for tubes that meet the spec of the tube we say it is designed for. If we say an amp is designed to use a 2A3, you can plug in an old stock 2A3 and it will work well. You will also be able to plug in the current production tube we supply with it, which means that that current production tube we supply also meets the spec of the original. This is also true of 300Bs in the Paramount amps.

If you buy a tube from a modern day manufacturer and it does not perform to spec in our amp, then it is not performing the same way as an original tube. I am not saying this is good or bad or that the tube is better or worse.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ee

Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:32 AM
Eric
I'm sorry and didn't mean for it sound like that and I really had no right to comment so I removed it
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:37:32 PM by ee »

Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3
Fostex FE206En in Vulcan (BIB BLH)
VPI Scout 1.1 with classic platter
Lyra Delos
Manley Chinook phono pre
Creek Destiny 2 CD
Audio Art Power Cables

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 11:01:20 AM
I should also mention that I have had no contact from JJ or Eurotubes regarding this. It is not clear to me what kind of resolution might be in mind, but it will be difficult for us to assess the problem without any samples to work with.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 11:49:37 AM
Looking at that statement the only one making an assumption is you. All that was said was that there is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mhardyman

Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 01:20:31 PM
I just placed an order from Eurotubes for a pair of the JJ 2A3-40 tubes for my Stereomour.  It is still stock and is currently running a set of Shuguang 2A3C tubes and sounds very nice.  They were priced right and replaced the Sovtek stock tubes which weren't bad but the tube rolling bug hit me and so it goes...

My next acquisition may be the TJ 2A3/n version.  They are about the same price.  I have several sets of the TJ 300B/n so-called mesh plate tubes and love them.  One pair is currently residing in my Paramounts and are astonishing.  If the 2A3 is anything like the 300B then it may be a very happy purchase!

Is one better than the other?  Don't know and don't care.  Sometimes a change is needed to refresh the poor ears...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 01:40:43 PM
I look forward to your comments.  I have kind of quietly lusted after the 2A3-40s.  I currently run Shuguang 2A3Cs.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
Well, I cannot believe anyone would be disappointed in the JJ 2A3-40 in any BH product amp designed for the 2A3. My review of the JJ's can be found on the Eurotube site here( http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-JJ-2A3-40-Review.htm ). Paul Birkeland built my Custom BH 2A3 amp, and I am extremely happy with the JJ's as well as with Eurotubes, which guarantees their tubes for six months.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene