The worst thing about digital music...

mcandmar · 4435

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 04:06:13 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.  That is a shame and very frustrating.

I assume my drive will go down...I make that a "given" and act accordingly.  I keep my main music on my NAS (original files), I keep two backups at home and rotate with one more off site.   I back up to the two copies at home, take one of the new backups to the off site location and return with the old backup.  The next time I back up (typically monthly or as needed with adding new music), I update my oldest backup, then my newest back up and take that one to my off site location, etc.  This way I always have a current backup at home and off site and I have an older version at home, as well.  Sounds expensive? They are 2TB drives at about $100-125 each, so $350 for my system.  I bought them over a few months as they were priced right on Amazon.  Again, I assume my drive will fail as a given and the price of backups is nothing compared to replacing my music collection.

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Chris

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:24 AM
Yes, THANK YOU for this thread... I am worried about my 7 year old seagate barracuda packin' up soon... haha... and I DONT want to lose the music... SO, one of these RAID 5 gizmos I will buy pronto!... and good news that HD will repopulate purchased music that gets lost.. I guess they would really have to support their customers....But nothing is ever for sure, so good to know...So SUPER SORRY  for your loss, however, you have given us boys a kick in the pants reminder to get backed UP!! Doc included  :)

Offline Big Al 954

• Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:50 AM
As with earlier posts in this thread,I can't over emphasize the value of an up to date backup and the use of fault tolerant storage.At minimum,Raid1(mirrored) preferably Raid5 .If using a NAS with a raid controller,buy drives rated for that kind of use ,not a standard desktop drive. Enterprise grade drives are your best bet ,they are made for being "hammered" day in and day out.It will cost more,probably triple what you would pay for the equivalent standard drive. Assume that at some stage you will have a NAS failure .Whilst a single drive failure can be easily recovered if you have a compatible drive to add to the array ( which in my case means keeping a stack on the shelf waiting for the inevitable ) ,If you lose a controller then the whole array is potentially lost. A desktop backup drive that is used just for backup and restoration is your second tier of defence, and a duplicate of that stored off site doesn't hurt.
I know this sounds a bit over the top,but if you have a big online music collection,it's worth a few dollars over the time and cost to recover from the loss.

Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 02:23:05 PM
I've never tried, but will a single drive out of a raid 1 array function without the controller?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 02:25:41 PM
Yes, the controller should mirror them exactly to the point you have two identical stand alone drives.

M.McCandless