Most popular Bottlehead kit

Natural Sound · 1433

Offline Natural Sound

on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:50 AM
I was perusing the gallery and a couple of other forums today and I started to wonder... What is most popular, best-selling, Bottlehead kit? If I had to guess I'd say it's most likely Crack.

What do I win?  ;)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:49:10 AM
Yup it's the Crack kit. Back in the old days it was the Foreplay kit. As a prize I will sign your chassis plate on the underside when you order your Crack kit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:14:47 AM
I would have guessed that too, as for the 2nd most popular, that's not so easy. I'm going to go with a preamp, Beepree or quickie.

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 06:41:14 AM
Next three (after Speedball, natch), would be Quickie, Smash, and Stereomour.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:56:31 AM
I would have thought the S.E.X. amp to be somewhere in the top 4, as I'd argue that it is the most versatile Bottlehead product, as well as having few peers in the audio world. Where else can you get a single-ended, tubed headphone amp that also happens to work well with speakers and has a dead quiet noise floor to boot?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:09:14 AM
The ranking was based upon a snapshot of sales for the last few weeks. If we looked a longer time span things would shift around, I imagine.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:11:14 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Mainline outsells the S.E.X. kit, certainly i see very little mention of it on various forums.  Personally i found the noise floor wasn't good enough for high sensitivity low impedance headphones which is a shame as its easily fixed with a few tweaks, and it pairs very well with my Grados and Hifimans.  If more people could hear the S.E.X. & Grado combination i'm sure it would be as highly praised as the Crack and HD650's.

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:44 AM
I am really looking forward to building the Sex kit which is winging its way towards me.
Building and hot rodidng my Crack has proved to be a rewarding experience and has provided countless hours of enjoyment.  I am very much looking forward to repeating the experience with the Sex and also trying out some full range speakers. 

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!