Tube Rolling w/Crack

Dr. Toobz · 750846

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1950 on: May 04, 2019, 05:57:23 AM
Can the crack take the BL63 at 1.2A of current? What's another 0.3A between friends?
That's too much.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline XforceVesa

Reply #1951 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:12 AM
Hi

I have a Question about Replacing the Stock Tubes if one of my Stock Tubes ever get Broken.

My Question is what I have to consider?

I saw the Thread with compatible Tubes for the Crack but If I want to buy one of these Tubes didnt I have to match these Tubes with my Crack Amp?(E.g Bias)

Thanks in Advance

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1952 on: May 22, 2019, 09:07:56 AM
My Question is what I have to consider?

I saw the Thread with compatible Tubes for the Crack but If I want to buy one of these Tubes didnt I have to match these Tubes with my Crack Amp?(E.g Bias)
You can do a voltage check when you plug in the replacement tubes to be sure everything is as it should be, but otherwise there are no bias adjustments to be made.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline janieldun

Reply #1953 on: May 22, 2019, 12:30:24 PM
I have a stock Crack 1.1 w/ Speedball

I'm also buying replacement tubes, but wanted to know if my pairing was all right.

I was looking to buy a couple of JJ ECC82 and Sino 6AS7G. Can these tubes be used with no additional changes to the stock kit?

Offline JLDub

Reply #1954 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:55 PM
I have a stock Crack 1.1 w/ Speedball

I'm also buying replacement tubes, but wanted to know if my pairing was all right.

I was looking to buy a couple of JJ ECC82 and Sino 6AS7G. Can these tubes be used with no additional changes to the stock kit?

https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=663.0

Offline cddc

Reply #1955 on: May 27, 2019, 08:35:19 AM
Can 6528 tubes be used in Crack (w/ speedball)?

Also what are the 6528-equivalent tubes?

Many thanks.

Offline oguinn

Reply #1956 on: May 27, 2019, 08:51:49 AM
Doesn’t seem like you can without some heavy modification. https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6215.0

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline cddc

Reply #1957 on: May 28, 2019, 07:14:13 AM
Indeed heavy mods!

So I guess the PT-3 power transformer in Crack cannot sustain the heavy 5A heater current in 6528.

What about 7802 tubes?

Offline JLDub

Reply #1958 on: May 28, 2019, 07:16:20 AM
What about 7802 tubes?

Good luck finding one! Apparently they work just fine though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:18:00 AM by Jamwagon »

Offline cddc

Reply #1959 on: May 28, 2019, 07:35:33 AM
I guess it's very rare so much so that fleabay search just returned none to me.... :o

Never really looked into 7802 yet...how about heater current and gain on 7802?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1960 on: May 28, 2019, 07:56:58 AM
The heater current of the 7802 is the same as a 6080.  Gain is not really a determining factor for tube substitution in this position.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline cddc

Reply #1961 on: May 28, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
Thanks a lot for the answer.

6528 and 7802 are just way too exotic...I gave up   ;D

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1962 on: May 28, 2019, 10:09:25 AM
Good luck with the search!

Here's a quote from some dude that hangs around on this forum from time to time  :-X

If I can throw just a little sanity in here -

1) There is no universal best
2) Your best probably isn't my best
3) Price has nothing to do with whether you will like a tube or not. The only person who will always find the most expensive component to sound best simply substitutes a need to show off for having an ear. "Only" is a little misleading here, there are very many of these people. Just go to CES to see large flocks of them.

When the urge to buy the flavor of the week boutique item next strikes my suggestion is to stand back and look at why you decided to DIY. Wasn't it to learn enough to control yourself how your system sounds? Buy a bunch of cheap tubes and learn what kind of differences you can hear. Then form a judgment about what you like and don't care for, and focus your effort on getting there. Try other changes too, and see how much impact they have relative to tube changes. There might be other things that make a lot more difference. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to cans, but I think most of our customers would be better served by learning how to make their listening room sound better than by buying a new boutique capacitor. I also see a lot of guys with expensive headphones and rather mediocre sources. One needs to learn to balance all of these things rather than obsess about one.

Offline cddc

Reply #1963 on: May 28, 2019, 04:33:48 PM
Salute to that dude for his epic insights   :)

Offline JLDub

Reply #1964 on: June 06, 2019, 10:49:39 AM
Does anyone have experience with DB Tubes? How was it?
Paul B, I'm curious to know your opinion.
I inquired about some tubes since the product page says various manufacturers. He got back a day later over email with some mixed stock and then emailed again right back almost immediately saying he found what I was looking for. I replied saying I was interested and asked how to pay as well as for test scores and pictures. Nothing. So I called and we chatted a bit and we agreed he would send over a PayPal invoice as well as a few pictures of the tube's base. Well, that was 24 hours ago... I don't want to bug the hell outta someone but this is kinda ridiculous.

Curious to know others experience with this seller.