Headphone plug for Crack

dmatt · 4027

Offline dmatt

on: May 04, 2010, 12:33:23 PM
Hi,

I purchased some Cardas headphone cable for my Senn 650s (with 4 leads -- hot and ground for each channel -- and a shield). 

I assume if I wanted to hook it into the Crack I could use a stereo 1/4 inch plug and put both grounds on the barrel.  Or I could use a 4 pin XLR and just connect the L and R channel grounds at the XLR socket on the amp. 

But what do I do with the shield?  Does this get left floating, do I tie to the L/R ground or is there something else I can connect it to in the amp (with maybe a 5 pin XLR).

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am soo looking forward to building this amp.

David

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:58:20 PM
If you want to really go nuts, I suppose a 5-pin XLR combination is what you would use, with the fifth pin dedicated to the shield at the amp end.  It could be connected internally to the chassis plate.

If using a more conventional TRS plug, just tie the grounds and the shield to the 'sleeve' connection at the plug---leave the shield taped off and unused at the headphones.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:06:38 PM by JC »

Jim C.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:12:45 PM
The L/R grounds and shield should go to the sleeve.  The electrical ground and chassis ground on the crack are tied together, so having the shield connect there is just peachy.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dmatt

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:58:21 PM
Great,

Thank you very much.

David