Stock-Replacement-DIY Cables

Adrian · 3941

Offline Adrian

on: September 16, 2014, 03:10:11 PM
I have read numerous posts on replacement cables for headphones.
I am not one to jump on replacement cables believing the magic they are advertised to deliver.  However, I decided to get my feet wet by DIYing a cable for my HD600s.
I have used Mogami microphone cable in the studio in a previous life and found this cable to perform admirably.  So, I decided to DIY a cable for my Senns.  Because this DIY cable replacement provided a noticible improvement over the HD600 stock cable I then did the same for my NAD VISO HP50s and made a headphone extension cable to boot.  I am very satisfied with the results which are clear, crisp, noise free delivery of what I swear is an extention of frequencies on both ends of the spectrum.

Below is a link to a post I made in the Headphone forum with pictures of the HD600 cable finished product.

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6657.msg66205#msg66205

Perhaps this will stir up some interest in DIY cables - this is a DIY site afterall.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline rickdagless

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:24 PM
Adrian

I'm looking to do the same for a pair of HD 650's, although I'll be terminating it with a 4-pin male XLR.  I'm in the process of buying the supplies (using the same Mogami 2534 wire and Cardas HPSC connectors) and had a couple of product questions for you (or anybody else).  Would definitely appreciate where to get these things, too, if anybody has any recommendations.

What size heat shrink tubing do you use?
What size cable pants?
And how about some cable tubing (Techflex?) for the exposed split wires running from the headphone connectors to the cable pants?

Vahe Vartan

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:15:06 AM
I've seen it said many times that the stock HD600/650 cable isn't the greatest. I picked up one of the eBay cables second hand and chopped the end off and fitted an XLR socket.  It certainly seemed to brighten up the headphone so its a worthwhile devour.

For my HE-500's i made my own using Canare star quad. For the heat shrink use whatever fits, i have a box of various sized lengths so i just used what fitted.  By Cable pants i assume you mean the outer layer?  Personally i dislike techflex for headphone cables, its fine for interconnects and power cables, but with headphones cables its too stiff and noisy when it rubs on things.  The Canare and Mogami cable is so soft and flexible i generally leave it alone.  If you really want to pretty it up use some paracord, its basically like a shoelace in that its soft and flexible too, and available in a range or army camo colours.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:18:38 AM
Heatshrink doesn't cost much, buy a decent stash of sizes in 1/4" increments so you always have what you need.  Adhesive lined heatshrink will last much, much longer.
What size cable pants?
What size is the Mogami? 
And how about some cable tubing (Techflex?) for the exposed split wires running from the headphone connectors to the cable pants?
That's a good idea. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
Adrian

I'm looking to do the same for a pair of HD 650's, although I'll be terminating it with a 4-pin male XLR.  I'm in the process of buying the supplies (using the same Mogami 2534 wire and Cardas HPSC connectors) and had a couple of product questions for you (or anybody else).  Would definitely appreciate where to get these things, too, if anybody has any recommendations.

What size cable pants?

I used 8mm 2 conductor cable pants.
The heat shrink that I used at the cable and cable pants joint was 12 mm.
The heat shrink I used at the cable pants to blue/white wires for each channel was 4.5 mm.
The heat shrink I used at the cardas connector was 9 mm over the larger part then covered with 4.5 mm to finish the joint to the blue/white wires.

I chose to leave the cable "naked" and not use techflex.  I didn't want to use anything that was not necessary and that may add noise as the cable rubs against your clothes, etc.  I like to keep things simple.

Here are some more detailed pictures that may help.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Adrian

Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:46:02 PM
rickdagless:
Sorry, I forgot to state where I got the parts.
Mogami 2534 from Sweetwater
Cardas Connectors from Dedicated Audio LLC
Rt angle TRS plug from Mouser
Cable Pants and heat shrink from Parts Express and Radio Shack.

Adrian C.