Prototype images

Doc B. · 22208

Offline John Swenson

Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:02 AM
Speaking of S/PDIF coax input, you will have noticed from the pictures that the input is BNC not RCA. That means that you will need a cable with a BNC plug. My favorite to use for this is the Blue Jeans Cable digital audio cables. You can get them with RCA on one end and BNC on the other or BNC on both if you have a source that has that.

If you are one of the few that uses AES/EBU you can get transformers that convert to BNC, these will plug right in to the BNC jack.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline PS2500

Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 01:13:57 AM
Thanks to you and John for the informative replies. Very encouraging to know, and I hope I can put down for a purchase in the not too distant future. (Currently juggling that with a few other possible BH orders - can't do 'em all at once...)

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 06:43:53 PM
Thanks for the responses on the input options.

Checked my denon 3910 and indeed it has rca and optical toslink outputs so i think they should work.

Any variability on various toslink cable types?  Thanks for the blue jeans recommendation on rca to bnc.  Is the bnc vs the toslink any different in sound quality?

Here is a picture of back of the denon just to ensure i have it right and can in fact use it as the transport.

Thanks again

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 05:37:23 AM
Since you won't be playing anything higher than a 96kHz file either coax or TOSLINK will work fine. It's difficult to say if one will be better than the other, as it seems dependent upon the player. My hunch is that a cheap TOSLINK cable might sound better on average than a really cheap coax cable. But if you spring for something like the blue jeans coax cable the difference might be very small.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Frihed89

Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:20 AM
I looked at the picture at the back of the amp, but didn't see any obvious connection for the power supply. Am I missing something?  Is it proprietary, or something we can mate it to with a commercial umbilical cable connector if we build our own linear PS? Or, would that not be a not good idea and the connect ion should be re-engineered. (As i recall most plugs from wall warts are pretty puny).

Offline Chris65

Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:02 AM
It's top right, DC mini (2.5mm?) jack.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 01:10:47 PM
Is it proprietary, or something we can mate it to with a commercial umbilical cable connector if we build our own linear PS?
It's a very standard connector.  None of the linear supplies that we made sounded anywhere close to as good as the battery supply we will be releasing after the DACs start shipping.
Or, would that not be a not good idea and the connect ion should be re-engineered. (As i recall most plugs from wall warts are pretty puny).
The demands on this connection are very low.  You are certainly welcome to modify the DAC however you like, but you will forfeit the warranty in the process.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 10:55:49 AM
Here is a photo of what the production DAC's back panel will look like. It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but those are some very nice gold plated copper and teflon insulator RCA jacks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:28 PM
Upgraded sockets are a nice touch. Would it be possible to swap the power switch and input jack positions around?  Just thinking it would be a little bit easier to find if its on the outer edge.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 12:49:16 PM
Upgraded sockets are a nice touch. Would it be possible to swap the power switch and input jack positions around?  Just thinking it would be a little bit easier to find if its on the outer edge.

The power switch isn't meant to be turned off.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:18 PM
Yeah, the switch is really there just in case you change power supplies. Other than that you want to keep the DAC on all the time. It makes a big difference in the sonics to keep it warmed up.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:20 PM
Fair enough.  I have an old DAC that subscribes to the same philosophy in that it doesn't even have a power switch, always puzzled me as to why it makes a difference.

M.McCandless

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:43 PM
Fair enough.  I have an old DAC that subscribes to the same philosophy in that it doesn't even have a power switch, always puzzled me as to why it makes a difference.

Super high precision clocks drift with temperature. Not much, but when you need the precision you notice it. Computers etc. are designed binary so minor errors either don't matter or are checked and weeded out, but it matters for analog.

Offline John Swenson

Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 08:56:09 PM
Super high precision clocks drift with temperature. Not much, but when you need the precision you notice it. Computers etc. are designed binary so minor errors either don't matter or are checked and weeded out, but it matters for analog.

Temperature change on clocks is an important part, but there is another. DAC chips generate less jitter when they are warm, and I do mean warm as in higher temperature. All chips generate current pulses on their power and ground traces in the die and on the package bond wires. These variation in PS voltages create jitter due to threshold change in the chip. The amplitude of the current pulses a given piece of circuitry depends on how fast that circuit changes state. Total amount of charge transferred stays constant, so if the circuit is faster, the current is higher, which creates more jitter.

It turns out that as CMOS circuits heat up they get slower, thus generate less internal jitter. The hotter it gets the less jitter, up til the speed gets so slow the chip fails to operate. I have done several studies on this and found that hot chips DO sound better. This is part of the reason I design my DACs to be warm, they just plain sound better. Heat can also decrease chip life so there is a tradeoff here. Run a DAC warm but not HOT. 

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline mcandmar

Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 05:08:18 PM
Fascinating stuff, thanks for the explanation gents.

M.McCandless