budget dac to pair with crack

zlobby · 5691

Offline zlobby

on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:19 AM
Trying to get my (computer) audio setup going again and need a new dac to pair with my crack w/ speedball.  I was using an old logitech interface but the drivers no longer work.  I don't have too much to spend, maybe $100ish. 

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:11:45 AM
For $100 the best choice is an ODAC, Modi, PupDAC, or Dragonfly.

M.McCandless

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:59:26 AM
One more vote for the ODAC. Keep in mind that it wont go above 24bit/96khz and (I think) I wont support 24bit/88khz. As long as your music library is in that range its hard to beat the "bang for the buck" you get with the ODAC.

Offline John EH

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 07:51:52 PM
I have an ODAC and greatly prefer using my Fiio E17 as a DAC.  However ODAC is a good choice and is inexpensive. Look at Nuforce UDAC's as well.  I have a couple of 2 versions and I really, really like 'em.

Offline Yoder

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:54:43 PM
I just picked up an E-Mu 0404 for $50 on eBay for my daughter's DAW. It arrived in new condition, and that seems to be the going price for the 0404. For the money, it would be very hard to beat the 0404. There is also a lot of mod advice out there. I put about $50 worth of parts in an older 0404 and the sound improvement was quite noticeable. It is 24/194 and has both balanced/unbalanced outputs.

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:25:18 PM
Anyone integrate an odac into the Crack box? If so, comments, pictures, lessons learned, hints?

This space for rent

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:36:34 PM
Anyone integrate an odac into the Crack box? If so, comments, pictures, lessons learned, hints?

If it were me I'd keep them separate. I tried a raspberry pi/HiFi Berry DAC in the Crack enclosure and it was noisy.

Offline John EH

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:08 AM

I did it too.  Sometimes the wifi has some interference.  I've been mulling around ways to shield it but I think I could just add an adapter and run it out the back.   I have a Raspberry Pi A+ in mine with a HiFiBerry DAC+ in mine so ethernet is not an option.  I have a post on the board here somewhere probably in the Crack section.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:42:35 AM by John EH »

Offline John EH

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 05:15:36 AM
I did it too.  Sometimes the wifi has some interference.  I've been mulling around ways to shield it but I think I could just add an adapter and run it out the back.   I have a Raspberry Pi A+ in mine with a HiFiBerry DAC+ in mine so ethernet is not an option.  I have a post on the board here somewhere probably in the Crack section.

Thanks, although an oDAC and a pi are very different boards.

This space for rent