Foreplay 2 Back in the Fold

Cary · 2587

Offline Cary

on: October 12, 2014, 07:22:54 AM
Several years ago I installed my Foreplay 2 in a Hammond chassis box. Funny thing it did not work. Since I had just built the Quickie, fixing it went to the back burner and I actually forgot about it. Found it a few days ago and decided to trouble shoot the problem. After some voltage and resistance checks I concluded that the transformer had died. I decided to take out the snubber circuit and replaced the transformer. It works just fine. This Foreplay was my first Bottlehead kit that I assembled, it features Kimbercaps and sweet whispers. It is now hooked up to the new Quicksand amplifier and sounds great! I forgot how nice the Foreplay sounds.

Cary
Bottlehead Ambassador
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:58:51 PM by Cary »

Offline John EH

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:51:53 PM
Foreplay 2 was great.  What a bear that varnished copper wire was though.

I hooked my Foreplay 2 up to my Paramours the other day and I swear there's more synergy there than with the Foreplay 3 Extended.

Offline Cary

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:43:59 AM
Foreplay 2 was great.  What a bear that varnished copper wire was though.

I hooked my Foreplay 2 up to my Paramours the other day and I swear there's more synergy there than with the Foreplay 3 Extended.

It was your post that reminded me that I needed to get my Foreplay working.

Offline corndog71

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:30:20 AM
I recently pulled my Foreplay II out of storage and plugged it in for kicks.  It sounded better than I remembered.  It was mostly stock except for the output caps which were Sonicap Gen I. 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Cary

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:45:15 AM
Anybody else dusted off their Foreplay and put it back into use?

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:03:56 AM
Anybody else dusted off their Foreplay and put it back into use?

Not a 2 but an enhanced 3. Mine has been in service for many years. It feeds a pair of Paramour II's configured for 45's. The paramours have the upgraded Stereomour/SEX iron and better caps. Pure bliss. :)

Offline John EH

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:45:25 AM
Not a 2 but an enhanced 3. Mine has been in service for many years. It feeds a pair of Paramour II's configured for 45's. The paramours have the upgraded Stereomour/SEX iron and better caps. Pure bliss. :)

I have an original set of Parmours that I did the "Voltsecond Mod" to (among all the other mods) with the SEXy speakers kit and the baffle correction thinly. 

The system is remarkable. I hardly turn it on but was laying in bed the other night with the SO and turned it on to some light Jazz and it was just phenomenal.  It may be the main system in my new home.