Painting the Top Plate - Suggestions?

karl · 4396

Offline karl

on: May 08, 2010, 10:01:05 AM
After looking into options for chemically finishing the aluminum plate, and not wanting to put off getting this started any longer, I will paint it. Since the plate has a definite grain to it, is a primer required? Should I use steel wool prior to painting? I have 0000.

I am considering a primer, top coat, and a clear overcoat to protect the top coat. Any comments?

Sorry for the obvious questions, but I have had little success in painting metal before. BTW, I will blue the end bell.

Regards,

Karl

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:12:57 AM
All of this really depends on what you intend to use as the color/texture.  Any ideas? 

Typically people get good results with alodine primer and hammer tone paint. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dmannnnn

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:32:23 AM
I painted my paramounts with the 'hammertone' finish.  I think it is one of the more popular paints to use around here.  It results in a textured finish which hides imperfections.  It is ALMOST foolproof.  If you don't want any 'do-overs' you might want to go that route.  I used ultra fine steel wool to clean up the surface and wiped it down with solvent.  No primer is required with the hammertone it sticks very well.  I would give it a couple of days to cure before assembly.  It will be nice and hard but not brittle.  The screw heads will settle just a little into the finish without mushrooming the paint.  I think I applied 3 coats.  It is pretty thick but I have had zero problems.  Be careful installing the power switch and power inlet, this is where chipping can happen.  You may want to shave the paint off these edges while it is still a little soft.

I finished the Foreplay with a clear spray lacquer from a can.  I gave it a jeweled appearance by swirling the aluminum with fine steel wool.  It looks very cool, but the lacquer definitely needs more time to cure and I have had a couple of chips.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:38:42 AM by dmannnnn »

Harmon Kardon T60 - Hagerman Bugle - Cal Audio Labs CL15
ForePlayIII - Paramount 300B's
Klipsch RF-7/Altec Model 14/Magnepan MG12

Offline karl

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:56:37 AM
A hammertone finish sounds like a good option. Is it obtainable at Lowes or Home Depot?

Regards,

Karl

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:58:01 PM
Karl,

I think the rustoleum hammertone finishes are available at the big chain stores, but I use the Hammerite rust cap finishes which I always seem to have to mail order.  I also really like the SEM self-etching primer, and you can often find this at places that sell auto body supplies, or again, via mail order.

I've not tried aluminum without the primer but as Hammerite recommends one on aluminum, and the SEM has a great reputation, that's what I used and was not disappointed.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline karl

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:31:54 PM
Jim -

I took a look at TCP Global and discovered that they have both the SEM primer and Hammerite finishes. I will go that route. I now need to see how dark the end bell will be after I blue it so I can match it to the plate finish.

Then there is the wood base finish... :]

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Karl