Smash newbie build

Stedes · 9849

Offline Brent

Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 05:57:48 AM
Nice thread and nice build so far.  Just a heads up based my Smash build:  you might keep an eye on that solder joint on the bottom left of the printed circuit board (I think it's D1).  Mine was making contact with the chassis plate when bolted into place because of how I bent and clipped the resistor  lead.  I trimmed the lead down as much as I could and put a slit piece of heat shrink under the edge of the board there.  That solved the problem.

Offline Stedes

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 03:40:42 PM
Day 7: September 8

And good morning to all. After a good night's sleep it's time to do the resistance and voltage checks. Off to the local Jaycar (electronics store chain) for some alligator clips and off we go.

Resistance checks started and just on the third measurement the numbers don't match what's in the manual...WTF?....oh....the multimeter is set to VDC...not ohms...Another moment worthy of the Homer-esque "Doh!".

Multimeter at the correct setting and all the resistance values check out...phew.

Bathroom break later and it's time for the voltage checks. Decide best way is to use the alligator clip for the black wire while keep the standard tip for the red wire. Mains cable attached and...we have 2 LEDs light up straight away. Check.

The voltage checks took a long time. I had left hand in pocket (like the old timers Doc) and would measure, put probe down and write down value one by one. Eventually they were all done and within tolerances.

Wow...this thing is now ready to plug in and play some music. But not before the badge is installed....

The Smash was plugged in my main system in place of my old Audible Illusions preamp and turned on...and yes...we have music. Any problems you might ask? Well yes but that's for another thread.

And this concludes this build thread guys and gals. Thank you to all you've read and replied. I really appreciate your enthusiasm and help with this, my first DIY audio project.

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:04 AM
  WOW!nice build  very detailed i enjoy reading it from the beginning to this page.I'am interested on these KIT or the Submissive for my CRACK and S.E.X. What do you guys think of these kit for the CRACK and SEX?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:55:35 AM by i luvmusic 2 »