Another important resistor pair?

tpatton · 9335

Offline tpatton

on: May 12, 2010, 07:11:04 AM
I know from comparative listening that the 47K5 ohms input load resistor matters greatly to sound quality.  (As everyone must be tired of hearing by now, I always use TX2352's.)  At the other end of the signal path, a 475K ohms resistor goes to ground, just as the 47K5 ohms one does.  Is the quality of that resistor also crucial to sound quality?  I used to think that questions like this would be easy for experts to enlighten me on, but recent responses to some of my posts suggest that it's more complicated than I'd assumed.  But whether the answer to my question is clear and simple or shaded and vexed, I'd love to hear some ideas.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:14:58 PM
That resistor will be in parallel with the attenuator in your preamp, so it isn't nearly as critical.  This is also a resistor that can be a pretty wide range of values.  IIRC, anything from 150k to 500k is just fine, maybe up to 1M would even be OK. With the Seduction plugged into a preamp, these resistors are more-or-less out of the equation.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:23:04 PM
Since a little DC leaks through the output capacitors as the power supply starts up the resistors bleed the DC to ground.  If the Seduction is fed into a preamp with a resistance on the input the input resistance would also do that.  But having these resistors there means if you have the Seduction unplugged there is no DC waiting to dump into whatever preamp you use.