Bee Pree 300B compatablity

apr59 · 2477

Offline apr59

• Scotty
on: November 14, 2014, 02:43:24 AM
Hi

I'm new to this forum so hello to you all!
The Bee pre is high on my list to add to my system however I need to be pragmatic and not over excited.
I use a pair of Graham Slee Proprius mono block power amplifiers.
My question is; do you see anything in the specifications attached on the Proprius amps that would prevent the Bee pre from driving them well?

Regards apr59

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:59:07 AM
The amp has a pretty sensitive input, so you might find that a simple inline attenuator between the preamp and amp is useful to keep the bit of 300B directly heated filament rattle that can occur when you turn the knobs on the BeePre from intruding in the background. Other than that small tweak it ought to work great. You will find a thread here about damping rings for the BeePre that really help too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline apr59

• Scotty
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:41:52 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Sorry about my slow reply, Brisbane has just been through the G20 and many of the locals fled the city including me as we were given a public holiday on the Friday just gone.
Re your suggestion regarding the attenuator on the output of the pre to the mono blocks, would that be nicer integrated into the pre itself?
Also as this limiting the output signal are we talking a linear pots of high quality and what sort of R/range do you think would be a good starting point?
Or would it be best if a value is established with a pot and a high quality resistors a integrated into the outputs?
There is a high chance that I may just of miss understood what you have suggested.
I'm excited about this preamp and I have all manner of experts at my end giving advice, you have probably heard all this before however it's true.
So any help you give is much appreciated, the best advice I've been given is to talk to you!

Kind regards apr59

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:32 AM
There's a few ways you can figure out what you need for the pad. First is you look at the specs and calculate what you need for the level of attenuation. Then you put that together, hook it up, listen and figure out that you didn't get it right just by crunching numbers on paper. Then you figure out how much you need to change it and redo the pad.

The second way is you build the preamp with the BeeQuiet, hook it up. Play music and figure out if you need any of this at all. If you do, find the setting where "too loud" happens on the preamp volume control. Then you just build an input pad at the amp that attenuates the same amount as you see on the attenuator setting. That attenuates any noise coming from the preamp itself and still lets the music signal through at level settings you will be happy with.

The third way is simply to buy an RCA adapter style inline attenuator for a few bucks and see how it works between the preamp and amp. Try around -12dB. If you like it but your expert friends won't speak to you any more because it isn't audiophile appproved you can replace it with a pad of the same attenuation rate at the input of the amp made with yak butter filled resistors with copper leads made from buttons found in the Pharoah's tomb.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline apr59

• Scotty
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure I can now navigate a cure if it's needed.
Sound like I have no excuses not to order a kit.
However!
Your DAC I think I read that you are taking pre orders, do you require a deposit?
I'm just judging which to order first.
Thanks again for your help it very much appreciated.

Regards apr59

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:23:22 AM
Yes, a DAC pre order requires a full payment. Chips are being produced for the first production run, and when they are ready the boards should go straight onto production. In the meantime we are setting up our assembly line. Shipping is estimated to begin some time not too long after the first of the year.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.