Bottlehead Mac Mini Question

marantzfan · 4143

Offline marantzfan

on: December 15, 2014, 06:34:45 PM
Hey Doc,

What program are you using with your Mac Mini based music server?  I'm looking at putting together a Mac Mini based server myself and there appear to be a lot of options...

Anyone else running a similar music server, feel free to share your experiences as well.

Anthony

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:50:22 AM
Presumably you are asking about the music player. We use Amarra, with excellent results. The library is in iTunes to make selection a familiar process for people, and the playback is automatically done ported to Amarra. Amarra can also be used stand alone if you prefer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline soundsgood

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:26:53 PM
I have also found Amarra to be the best sounding music player, but not the easiest to use. I use an iMac with a Wyred 4 Sound dac-2. Lots of information can be found from the smart fellas at computer audiophile.

Bob Zangri

Offline marantzfan

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:04 PM
Interesting.  I was considering JRiver and HQPlayer, now Amarra is on the list for further exploration.  This appears to be a deep rabbit hole...

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline Tubejack

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:22:26 AM
I received my Neil Young sponsored PONO player this week, and learned that their front end is JRIVER v20.  I had been wondering if they would adopt/royalty a front end, or develop their own. 

So far I am pleased with the player and JRIVER v20, as I use v19 on my in home server ...

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Thoburn

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:37:13 PM
Interesting.  I was considering JRiver and HQPlayer, now Amarra is on the list for further exploration.  This appears to be a deep rabbit hole...

I have JRiver 19 on my mini. I control the mini from my IPad Air using SplashTop (the free version). I connect the mini to my DAC*iTx using AudioQuest Carbon (I highly recommend it). The DAC*iTx connects to my Stereomour then to my Lowther DX-4 Medallions. I am very, very happy with it.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline John EH

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:53:48 PM
I was initially not a JRiver fan at all but it has come to grow on me a bit.   Bit Perfect is pretty good as well, only $10 but I have to admit it perplexes me from time to time.  Amarra has been nothing but trouble for me.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 07:21:47 AM
The folks at Amarra are very supportive. If you haven't already, try contacting them for help with the issue you are having.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline khingila

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 09:26:44 AM
i ordered the bottlehead dac based on my confidence that it will be a superior product. i intend to start out by inserting it between the digital out on my cd player and the foreplay 3. i know pretty much zip about computer based playback; i've only used itunes, and that only to manage audio content on my iphone. where would a fella look for basic info about implementing, say, a mac mini server based source?   

khingila

Offline John EH

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 04:56:56 PM
Running a mac min sever is a breeze.  It'll do about anything.

I have a big FLAC library on mine I play with JRiver or Clementine.  Much of that library is also ripped to Apple Loseless and played through iTunes and Airplay throughout the house.  You can also run logitechmediaserver on Mac.  Squeezelite works but doesn't play mp3 streams on Mac.  You can play the Spotify app, you can play Pandora through Muse wrapper.   You can stream via any website.

It has optical out, and 4 USB ports for hard drives, USB DAC's whatever.

I play with Linux music servers a lot but my Mac Mini quite simply does it all.  You can run it headless and control it via another Mac on Screen Sharing or via a VNC client from an iPad.  The platform is simple enough the wife and kids can use it too.   One of the gotchas of all these fancy servers seems that only the audiophool can play music from it.

Mac Mini does everything and sounds pretty good too.  I give a barely imperceptible nod to Linux with Music Player Daemon (MPD) for sound though.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 06:41:39 AM
The Amarra site at least used to have a nice write up on how to optimize various Macs for use as a music server. I imagine it is still on there.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.