Mic / Guitar Preamp?

sbrendtro · 1730

Offline sbrendtro

on: May 12, 2010, 09:20:08 AM
The electronic child in me is fascinated by all these great kits, and I've been wanting to build something along the lines for a while.  Specifically, I would love a pure tube preamp to use on my jumbo acoustic guitar.  I recently recorded through a $1500 preamp and my guitar finally sounded on recording like it does in real life - warm, full and deep, without being boomy.  Price there is a bit steep, however.  Specialized preamp kits I've looked at are cheaper, but insanely complex and blend solid state with the tube, which is not what I want.

Anyhow, on to my question... Do any of these preamp kits lend themselves to being an instrument preamp?  For live sound, my guitar has a a 1/4" out at less than 5k Ohm, and I run that into a DI box and simultaneously into both a live house system and a ProTools rig for recording.  For the studio, it would be cool to have the option to run a microphone through it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:08 AM
I have a guitar amp design I have been playing with for a while now. Not sure how it will end up, but I do plan to build another prototype soon. It would certainly be possible to a direct output to it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:16:57 PM
Hey Steve,
I just stumbled across this thread today. I'm not sure if you've seen the Gyraf schematics but they're all tube/transformer designs. There was a thread or two about the G9 mic pre on Gear Slutz a while ago. You should be able to find them with a search there.
This one's on my "one of these days" list.

http://www.gyraf.dk/

steve koto