line level switch box - calling the smart folks in the room

Cleet Torres · 1424

Offline Cleet Torres

Hi

I want to build a little passive line level switch box with 3 inputs and 3 outputs, all single ended RCA. So far so good. But I want the outputs to be either independently driven or in multiples.

IOW. For the three sets of output RCA's, call them outputs a, b and c. I want to be able to drive 1.) output a only, 2.) output b only, 3.) output c only, 4.) outputs a and b at the same time, 5.) outputs b and c at the same time, 6.) outputs a and c at the same time, and finally 7.) all three outputs together.

I would like input from one source at a time only.

I suspect smart folks will know how to wire the inputs and outputs in such a way that I can achieve this with two rotary switches only. I want to keep the switchbox as simple as possible and keep as few switches in the signal path.

My head just doesn't want to assist in solving the logic - all them Jim Beams I guess? :P

Regards
Cleet

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:12:42 AM
Wouldn't it be enough to simply put a toggle switch on each output RCA, having all wired to play at each selection of the input but being able to turn off/on each output RCA as desired?

Bob Trancho

Offline Cleet Torres

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:03:09 AM
My word Bob, yes, that sounds like a great idea. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how long I have been pondering an eloquent way of doing a switchbox like this.  :-[

Thank you so much and excuse me I need to go have more than a few Jim Beams to wash away my embarrassment.

Regards
Cleet

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:45:12 AM
Thank you so much and excuse me I need to go have more than a few Jim Beams to wash away my embarrassment.

We all often start looking at problems from the most complex angles..  That's why forums like this one are so great. 

Now I'll go for a Kings County Bourbon or two to to reward myself.

Bob Trancho