Bottlehead S.E.X Impedance switch setting guidance.

Adamaley · 1946

Offline Adamaley

on: December 12, 2014, 04:01:10 PM
Hey fellas. I need some S.E.X education. I just received a pre-built S.E.X amp with the C4S upgrade and the impedance switch. Before plugging it in and playing music I decided to learn myself some sense first. I need to know if the Impedance switch configuration is correct as seen in the photo below. The Right is set to "BAL" and the Left side is set to "UNBAL". Is this correct? Also how do I go about setting the impedance; which switch positions correspond to what level of impedance. Unfortuantely I didn't receive the manual with my purchase, so I am relying on my fellow bottleheads to enlighten me.

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JxxMCuAUIAY/VIt03imGAuI/AAAAAAAAAxc/jxn3BXwRQBE/w1153-h865-no/20141212_170233.jpg)

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:22:30 PM
You want both boards to be set the same. i.e. one sets the left channel, one sets the right channel.

The impedance settings are set via the two ML & MH switches, configurations are,

4ohm: lo, lo
8ohm: hi, lo
16ohm: lo, hi
32ohm: hi, hi

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 05:36:24 PM
I strongly recommend that you try to get the manual (it's on a CD-ROM). With it, you can fix pretty much anything - including knowing when to call in the Marines!

Paul Joppa

Offline Adamaley

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:24:45 AM
I would love to have the manual, but I purchased this used, and am not sure Bottlehead's policy will allow me access to the manual. Perhaps an exception can be made in this case but didn't want to push it. Thanks for the info though, mcandmar.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:49:37 AM
The seller should have included the manual. Contact him first. Bottlehead will sell manuals in these instances, if needed.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Adamaley

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:31:15 AM
The seller did suggest he would find them and send them over. However, that was not the purpose of this thread, I am not looking to push the issue.

Currently, I am looking to confirm that the order of the 2 switches in the middle is correct. Help I got on HF suggested:

Low + Low = 4 ohm = lowest noise / lowest power
Low + High = 8 ohm
High + Low = 16 ohm
High + High = 32 ohm = highest noise / highest power

The middle two settings are different from what mcandmar graciously posted.

Anyone care to confirm that this is wrong/correct?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 09:33:54 AM
8 Ohms is ML, 16 Ohms is MH.

Everything else state is correct.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adamaley

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:14 AM
Thanks a lot for the clarification. It's very much appreciated. Now I can enjoy my S.E.X with a clear mind, which always helps.