How difficult is the Smash Up to install?

Tlarwa · 1729

Offline Tlarwa

on: January 31, 2015, 05:25:23 PM
I bought my Smash pre-assembled.  I'd like to add the Smash Up after reading all the positive comments, but want to hear how difficult it is to install, especially since I didn't build the Smash.  I have never built a kit before.  About the closest I've come is to rebuild speaker crossovers and re-cap a couple vintage tube amps.  Anyone care to build up my confidence?

Tom

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:21:21 PM
You may find building and installing the Smashup a bit more challenging, but definitely not daunting.  Building the Smashup is pretty straight forward....You must be careful to get the boards populated with the correct component in the right spot!! The instructions are very clear on this.  Don't start if you are fatigued or stressed. Take breaks. Do not be in a hurry.

Print the bill of materials sheet. Inventory the parts to make sure you have all of the parts. Check off each part as verified.  I tape, just enough to hold them in place, everything to a piece of letter size white paper.  Some of the parts are really tiny.  (especially the LED's)  A sneeze and you are bummed and delayed!

Using your DMM, measure the resistors, tape one end of each pair's leads to a piece of white letter size paper.  Write spec value next to each pair in easy to read print.

Visually match up and differentiate the transistors and the regulators.  Lightly tape the leads of each pair to the paper and write what it is next to it in easy to read print.

Print the step-by-step pages of the manual. Staple together and check off each step once completed AND verified against the instructions and photo. Read the instructions and look at the pictures...reread the instructions and take another good look at the pictures. I found it helpful to use the digital manual so that I could greatly enlarge the photos.  Reread the instructions at the start of each step. Check your work at the end of each step by, yet again, reading the instructions and matching your work to the appropriate photo.

Measure the wires but no need to be overly precise.  Enlarge the photos to make sure that you are soldering the wires to the correct  solder pad.  Compare your progress to the photos. Finish one board before you start the other.

Prepping the Smash to receive the boards needs to be done carefully ensuring the removal of the correct component from the correct location. 

The manual is great.  It  is a fairly easy project.  Be careful. Don't overheat the pads.  Heat the lead and the pad with the tip of the iron and then flow the solder in from the opposite side whenever possible.

A few hours carefully spent and you will be rewarded with even better sound from the Smash!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:15:33 AM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's