Quicksand Bridged Output?

Groverb · 2461

Offline Groverb

on: March 28, 2015, 05:58:24 PM
Hello,

I just recently built a Quicksand and Quickie combo for some desktop speakers with nice little Fostex full range drivers (the Kanspea kit with the 50th anniversary FE103-SOL's from Madisound).  The setup sounds beautiful but is missing some low end so I just picked up a used passive Blumenstein subwoofer on eBay (it hasn't arrived yet so I am not sure of the specs).  I am trying to figure out a way to power the sub without going the cheap plate amp route.  I want the amp to match the quality of the components I already have and I don't need that much power to pair the sub with the little 4" drivers I am using.  Would it work if I got a second Quicksand and bridged the output channels to my own crossover (maybe built into the Quicksand) and on to the sub?  I suspect the model of driver the Blumenstein uses is a 6 1/2" Peerless but I am not sure if it is 4 or 8 ohms.  I am open to other suggestions as well.  Thanks!

-Bryan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:20:37 AM
Bridging for 4 Ohms is pretty easy (try just paralleling the outputs).  Bridging for 8 Ohms requires more circuitry than is available in the kit. 

If the driver that comes with the sub is 8 Ohms, you may be able to find a 4 Ohm version pretty easily.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man