Question on using 2 separate amps with the Smash

Tlarwa · 1891

Offline Tlarwa

on: January 19, 2015, 04:57:10 PM
I want to connect two separate power amps, to drive two sets of speakers (not to bi-amp and not a mains/sub set up).  Only one amp would be used/powered on at a time.  Are there any issues with doing this with the Smash?  I don't want to have to add an amp selector switch in addition to the source selector. 

I appreciate the input.

Tom

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:21:04 PM
You're good to go on this with the Smash. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tlarwa

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:01:09 AM
Thanks!

Offline Tlarwa

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:56 AM
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a pre-built Smash.  It'll be my first tube preamp, so I'm anxious to see how it performs.  It'll be used with a 6s45p PSE tube amp, driving my Super Pensils (Mark Audio 12p drivers) and a DAL Audio Studio 3886 gainclone amp, which drives my Klipsch Forte II's.  The front end is primarily analog (modded Empire 208 table with a Jelco 750D arm).  My phono stage is a modded Jolida JD9.  Hopefully the Smash will play nice with the rest of my equipment.  I've been using a simple passive pre, so this will be something different. 

The Smash I bought does not have the upgrade.  Is it something I should consider adding? 

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:15:29 AM
The Smash Up will be the largest upgrade you can get sonically.  I've proven this to myself a number of times.  But first, listen to the stock unit and get used to its sound.  Then when you upgrade you will know it is money well spent.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:57:13 AM
The Smashup is one of the most audible upgrades of any that we offer in our kits.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.