Sector switch wows

Thoburn · 2345

Offline Thoburn

on: January 25, 2015, 02:31:34 PM
The selector switch in my Stereomour now has some slop and I sometimes lose the left channel or it sounds all garbled. Do I need to replace it or is there a fix for it?
Thanks!

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:38 PM
Do you lose the left channel on all switch positions?  Are all the lugs fairly secure in the switch body?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thoburn

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:24:18 PM
Do you lose the left channel on all switch positions?  Are all the lugs fairly secure in the switch body?

I only have my DAC and phono stage and I only loose the left and on both inputs. I gently tried to wiggle each lug and they are all solid. I should note that when I am listening to vinyl I swich over to the DAC side so I don't blast the amp while changing sides or albums. So it has been switched a lot. Also, I live about 200 feet from Puget Sound, so I might have humidity and salt water issues.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:42:43 AM
I would suspect that one of the middle contacts on the left channel has worked loose.  We can provide a replacement switch for you at a very reasonable cost, or if you just have two sources, you can buy a 4PDT switch and a few washers, then just use two of the inputs.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Thoburn

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:47:14 PM
I would suspect that one of the middle contacts on the left channel has worked loose.  We can provide a replacement switch for you at a very reasonable cost, or if you just have two sources, you can buy a 4PDT switch and a few washers, then just use two of the inputs.

-PB

I would much rather have the OEM selector than the switch. A guy I know suggested a Gold Point selector, but I amost fell out of my chair when I found out how expensive they are. I'm asking for your opinion here. What advantage would I gain with the Gold Point given where I live.
Thanks!

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:33:01 PM
I'm about 12 miles from the Puget Sound, and I haven't had much in the way of corrosion issues with our parts.  I can say that some of the Chinese stepped attenuators that I bought off eBay a few years ago look pretty dreadful though!

If you have an older Stereomour, your rotary switch body will be all white.  There was a retooling and production transition around 18 months ago, and the new switches are white and black.  Switch reliability seemed to increase a bit after this change, and it would be a recommended replacement for the older Lorlin switches.

For a myriad of reasons, we don't really recommend Goldpoint products for use in our kits. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:03 AM
There are a number of ways to approach this.  There are expensive switches out there (these come close:  http://www.shallco.com/attenuators.html  ).  Goldpoint is far from being the most expensive.  I am still using the stock switch in my Foreplay 2.  It is probably 12 years old.  It has given me no problems, I change inputs often. 

Maybe simple is a good answer, I'm throwing in with PB.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:16:24 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Thoburn

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:17 PM
If you have an older Stereomour, your rotary switch body will be all white.  There was a retooling and production transition around 18 months ago, and the new switches are white and black.  Switch reliability seemed to increase a bit after this change, and it would be a recommended replacement for the older Lorlin switches.

For a myriad of reasons, we don't really recommend Goldpoint products for use in our kits. 

-PB

I think my Stereomour is one of the first runs. My selector is white. I will call tomorrow to order a new selector.

Thanks for all the input.

Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Monster Power HTS3600