BH DAC arrival preperation

dpat1 · 3337

Offline dpat1

on: February 01, 2015, 12:07:51 PM
Hi All,

In preparation for the arrival of my BH DAC I have a few questions.
1) What HD file format would work best? AIFF, ALAC, FLAC or WAV
    I use multiple platforms including iTunes and PC.
2) Do I need any special hardware or software to connect with the BH DAC? I use a Windows PC as my download machine and it is currently  USB 2.0. I plan to connect from my PC using the USB cable as one option.

I am going to start buying HD audio downloads and want to make sure I get the highest possible sound quality from whatever file type turns out to be the best all-around performer. I'm sure I will have other questions as I try to figure this stuff out. All opinions welcome.

Thanks,

David P.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:57 PM
1) What HD file format would work best? AIFF, ALAC, FLAC or WAV
A more important question may be which playback software to use.  Honestly, I'd try them all and let us know what you hear, but uncompressed files should be the way to go (IMO).
2) Do I need any special hardware or software to connect with the BH DAC? I use a Windows PC

We will distribute a driver for USB on Windows machines.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mordicai

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:13 PM
Sounds like the first thing you need to do is buy a Hi Res Player. I- tunes won't cut it. I use JRiver.

Offline dpat1

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:48:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at the JRiver site and see what they have to offer. I am also looking into a portable player that can handle the various file formats but that also has an optical output. Any recommendations on that front are also welcome.

Thanks,

David