I need to stop messing with it now and thank you Bottlehead!

jerryZ · 3102

Offline jerryZ

I think I need to stop messing with my Stereomour now..  :P
Since I built it about a year ago, I have been constantly changing things.. Here is a list what I have done:

1. Rectifier diode changed to Cree 5A/1200V schottky
2. 3.3uf parafeed cap changed to ClarityCAP MR
3. 0.1uf interstage cap changed to Duelund CAST-PIO-Cu
4. Cathode bypass cap removed and replaced with 56uf Solen metallized polypropylene
5. The last PS cap was bypassed with 1uf Mundorf Superme
6. Input selector switch and volume pot were removed
7. 1200ohm and 360ohm PS resistors were removed and replaced with Triad C-7x chokes
8. Input wire was changed to some type of Mogami wire

I have heard a lot amps but I have to admit this is the best amp I ever have, it is time to let it be and just enjoy the  music! or... maybe I should replace that 100uf PS cap with something like ClarityCAP TC series metalized film PS caps?? LOL!

Thanks for the Bottlehead team to bring this wonderful product to me!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:01:08 AM by jerryZ »

Offline wullymc

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:08:02 PM
Super nice build Jerry!   Nice and clean.

Looks like a million bucks and sounds good to boot.

Enjoy the sweet tunes.....take care...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline mkane

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:52:55 PM
Looks tight

Offline Chris65

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 01:58:17 AM
Very sweet! How are those big Solens managing to stay there?

Offline jerryZ

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 02:34:04 AM
Very sweet! How are those big Solens managing to stay there?

They were soldered directly to terminal strips under the C4S board, space is very tight there and there are some other wires going to the same terminals, so it did take some efforts for me to get it done properly.. it would be better if I can somehow secure the Solen in order to reduce vibration,  but I can't figure out a way..

Offline jwrossie

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:49:17 AM
Do you use only one input? What is the reason?

Nice build!

Offline jerryZ

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:33:26 AM
Do you use only one input? What is the reason?
Nice build!

Thanks.. lots of fun building this amp!

I mainly just use my computer as the source, so no need to have more than one input..

Offline WayneHunt

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:40:20 PM
Looks great.  Do you know which mods gave you the most improved sound? 

I have upgraded to Sophia 300b and a NOS Telefunken 12at7.  I have also replaced parafeed caps with Auricaps and the Interstage caps with Rikes caps.   

Can you suggest another mod that would improve my sound the most out of the additional mods that you have done?

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline jerryZ

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:05:16 AM
Looks great.  Do you know which mods gave you the most improved sound? 
I have upgraded to Sophia 300b and a NOS Telefunken 12at7.  I have also replaced parafeed caps with Auricaps and the Interstage caps with Rikes caps.   
Can you suggest another mod that would improve my sound the most out of the additional mods that you have done?
Thanks,
Wayne

IMHO, The mode that brings most improvement is replacing parafeed and interstage caps, which you already did.

The next big improvement for me is removing the volume pot and use a passive TVC pre-amp to control volume.

Use choke in the PS and replace cathode bypass cap with Solen do improve things but in a more subtle way..

Cheers
Jerry

Offline WayneHunt

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 05:14:31 PM
I would think one of the best upgrades would be to swap out the OP transformers.  Have you had any luck sourcing some that fit the chasis?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:35:11 PM
I would think one of the best upgrades would be to swap out the OP transformers.  Have you had any luck sourcing some that fit the chasis?
So far, we are unaware of any other output transformers for the Stereomour that would offer even the same level of performance as the stock iron, let alone anything better.  The one possibility had been Magnequest, but Mikey has made it clear that he will not be making upgrade iron for the Stereomour. 

The kit could be completely redesigned to use a very different transformer, but that would involve starting over, then a lot of research and design, then there may be some improvement, or you may end up with something quite a bit worse (I'm speaking from experience on this one).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man