Smashup Install

steve j · 3722

Offline steve j

on: February 09, 2015, 04:11:57 PM
Smashup has been up and running for about a week,Well worth the investment has made Quite an improvement in sound quality.
My thank's to the Bottlehead Crew.
Steve.

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:39:32 PM
How long did you listen to the Smash before getting into the Smash-up? I have the Smash/Seductor combo with about 15 hours on them and the tubes are really starting to warm up with the low end coming out more and the highs starting to smooth out, but I have the Smash Up sitting in a box ready to go. Will it be so noticeable that I won't regret going for it now? This is not a bad dilemma to have but I'm having it.

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned

Offline steve j

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:36:24 PM
About 50 hours before install of the Smashup.
The difference to my ears is quite a step up from the stock Smash.I had the Smashup kit installed the same day it arrived in the post No regrets!!!
Regards,  Steve.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:15 AM
To me stock Smash to Smashup is one of the biggest jumps we've heard from an upgrade kit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline corndog71

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:59:39 AM
I lived with my Smash completely stock for about a month or so.  It was a noticeable improvement over my already very nice modded Quickie.  I upgraded the output caps to my favorite flavor (Clarity Cap MR) and that's where it stayed for months until receiving my Smashup.  I thought I would miss the purple tube but the improvement from Smashup IS worth the change.  It pulls more life out of the music. 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:28:59 AM
It must be DHT magic in a preamp.

Offline steve j

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:12 AM
I am Very pleased with the Smash & Smashup kit...

Now i don't suppose there are any plans for a 4p1L SE amp in the future.
Steve.

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:28:24 PM
Well there's no point in letting the Smash-up sit in the box then.  8)

Mike
Winnipeg
Nuforce DAC 80

Offline mobelos

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:15 AM
Love the upgrade.  I had a month or so of use on my smash mainly through my full range 94db tektons with fostex drivers and a Magnavox SE el84 amp out of a console .  The upgrade was a very noticeable improvement in noise floor and listening pleasure.  Made my system sing, and gave it just that little more gain it needed for the maggie tube amp.  Enjoy the upgrade. ;D

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:53:21 AM
Installed the Smash Up yesterday and had time to go through Dark Side Of the Moon which I also listened to Saturday night. It really brought the music into my living room even through my little 4" Fostex speakers. I'll have a listen to the new Gary Clark Jr. live tonight and compare because I can't stop listening to that one. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Mike
Winnipeg
Nuforce DAC 80

Offline rogerfederer

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM
i'm assuming the answer is "no" but has the smashup upgrade made any change in the microphonics?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:50:50 AM
The microphony is a condition that you have to accept in trade for the amazing resolution of directly heated tubes. The only ways to improve it are coming up with the best isolation scheme you can muster and hand selecting tubes for lowest microphony.

My question is always, is the microphony intruding on the music? Usually the answer is "no, I just hear it when I tap the preamp or maybe a little when I switch the attenuator." That is the level of microphony I would call acceptable. The gain of the amplifier and the speaker sensitivity will have some bearing upon how much you hear. If you have a touchy volume control, lowering the gain of a sensitive amp by padding the input will often help.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rogerfederer

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:17 PM
when the smash was introduced on this site there were questions about microphonics and the response was that you had addressed that via having a strong grip on the tubes.  turns out that was not accurate.

so, i'm assuming the smashup does not address the microphonics issue.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Correct. The Smashup is adding C4S to the circuitry.  Nothing to do with microphonics.  The 4P1L is known to be microphonic. There are mechanical "fixes" that mitigate, (some which, IIRC, you have tried), and some "starve the filaments" in other circuits to minimize.  But microphonics are inherent with this tube.

The Smash is a great line stage, even better with the Smashup, but the tubes are microphonic.  I have minimized the issue by adding weight to the plate.    I also made it worse, when changing volume and switching inputs, by adding different attenuator and selector switches.  But I live with that reality due to the improvement in the sound.  I have no issues once the tubes settle down after switching inputs or volume. 

Roger, are you having issues such that the microphonics intrude when music is playing?  Rather than hijack this thread, perhaps we should start a thread to discuss the microphonics and fixes that folks are employing.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 05:21:33 PM
when the smash was introduced on this site there were questions about microphonics and the response was that you had addressed that via having a strong grip on the tubes.  turns out that was not accurate.

Could you direct me to that response? I don't recall saying something about a strong grip on the tubes. We have done what we can to minimize the introduction of energy into the tubes where we can do it cost effectively. And we are happy to offer suggestions of how one can further reduce sensitivity in a given listening situation. I'm leaning towards what Geary suggests, that this subject deserves its own thread.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.